Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

wig

Can anyone advise me about getting a wig? My head circumference is around 25" which I think is going to make it difficult to find one. I hopefully want one that looks reasonable but is not that expensive that I can wear in the house in the evening etc. (until I come out to friends and family).

(12-11-2015, 06:36 PM)Kellyann1 Wrote:  Can anyone advise me about getting a wig? My head circumference is around 25" which I think is going to make it difficult to find one. I hopefully want one that looks reasonable but is not that expensive that I can wear in the house in the evening etc. (until I come out to friends and family).

I picked up a couple of cheap wigs from Amazon to start off. They do have some stretch to them so you should be ok. If there is a wig shop somewhat close to you ( well not too close ). You could always go for a fitting, keep in mind the shops normally sell expensive wigs, but your in no obligation to buy one. When I went for my fitting they were very easy to deal with, you have to just keep in mind they probably see several transgender females a week.

Your dimensions will make it a bit of challenge to find one that fits well, but there are possibilities. A low price may not be an option, though. Many wig dealers carry wigs in larger sizes, but they seem to usually max at around 23". However, someone good with wig modification might be able to alter one to fit better.

There are several types of wig caps, and some are easier to modify than others. An all monofiliment or lace cap won't work, probably, unless it's custom made for you. Wigs made with open wefts (strings with hair rooted to them) are easiest to expand and modify. They are also the coolest to wear, though they offer less styling options. Many wigs have mono or lace on top and weft sides and back. That's the kind you probably want. It's actually not too difficult to expand such a wig considerably with just a couple of stitches and, maybe, a little added edge fabric.

You might want to talk to a wig stylist about your options. Most good wig shops are very used to male customers being fitted and will work with you, but you might call before going in. There are also lots of options online, but it's very hit and miss, so be prepared to blow cash a few times on misses.

The worst case would be to have a wig custom made for you, but it's entirely possible and there are plenty of people around who can do it. I've watched a number of home-based wig makers on YouTube and they can make one in any size. Check around and you might work a good deal with one.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon