Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Went to the Informed Consent Clinic Yesterday

Wendy,
Thanks for posting that informed consent form. It was most interesting and pretty comprehensive. Happy growing!

My wife brought the HRT in from the mailbox and left it on my chair where I would be sure to find it. So today was the beginning. Smile

Super congrats, Wendy! So excited for you...

(30-11-2015, 12:21 PM)WendyA Wrote:  Thanks everyone.

(30-11-2015, 11:21 AM)jannet.duff Wrote:  Great!!!

I've often wondered that myself, if a low dose of HRT meds would be easier on the wallet.

Since the HRT is generic no matter what the dose the estradiol and spironolactone are completely covered.

As far as the labs are concerned she told me that I won't require anything close to the full blood work they did last Saturday the next time I am there. Since spironolactone is a potassium sparing diuretic I think the potassium/sodium levels may be the only thing required. She doesn't typically check T or E unless symptoms or results indicate the need.

The last time I used herbs many years back and many pounds heavier I occasionally had mild lower back pain (kidney?) also you can never be sure what is in any given supplement. So, since informed consent exists this time, I decided to give the system a try.

I'll keep y'all updated as time goes on.

You are right about Spiro. I have to have cholesterol, potassium as well as salt levels checked every 3 months. I am on 50mg of Spiro and 5 mg of fin.

(13-12-2015, 07:41 PM)iaboy Wrote:  You are right about Spiro. I have to have cholesterol, potassium as well as salt levels checked every 3 months. I am on 50mg of Spiro and 5 mg of fin.

I was concerned about potassium because I may be one of few folks who gets above the RDA of 4700mg (about 5200mg on average) everyday from whole foods. She said she wasn't too concerned as long as I'm not taking a supplement or chugging energy / athletic drinks high in potassium. Combine that with the fact I'm almost always below the 2300mg (most of the time below 1500mg) of sodium daily.

It will be interesting tracking the results to see how (if) things are affected.

Just had my 3 month follow-up. I'll be having the blood tests this coming week.

During this 3 months I was on .5mg estradiol twice a day and 50mg spiro twice a day (AKA 100mg spiro and 1mg estradiol daily). My breasts became sensitive about 5-6 weeks in and there is significant budding. Within the first week my brain for lack of a better word normalized. I stopped wearing the bra with enhancements and felt "normal" again. Over the last 40 years I have had cycles where I was "normal" and cycles when I was preoccupied with various thoughts that would consume much of my waking time.

The new prescription is 150mg (3x50mg) spiro and 2mg (.5mg x 4) estradiol daily. I think I might experiment a little 50mg spiro and .5mg estradiol 3 times daily might be the proper ballpark for the long term.

(29-02-2016, 03:07 PM)WendyA Wrote:  Just had my 3 month follow-up. I'll be having the blood tests this coming week.

During this 3 months I was on .5mg estradiol twice a day and 50mg spiro twice a day (AKA 100mg spiro and 1mg estradiol daily). My breasts became sensitive about 5-6 weeks in and there is significant budding. Within the first week my brain for lack of a better word normalized. I stopped wearing the bra with enhancements and felt "normal" again. Over the last 40 years I have had cycles where I was "normal" and cycles when I was preoccupied with various thoughts that would consume much of my waking time.

The new prescription is 150mg (3x50mg) spiro and 2mg (.5mg x 4) estradiol daily. I think I might experiment a little 50mg spiro and .5mg estradiol 3 times daily might be the proper ballpark for the long term.

I would not fool with it myself. You have a doctor. If you play with the dosages too much, she/he could start ordering test and cut back on your legal scripts.... Then where would that leave you... There IS a reason why doctor's wish to monitor blood levels and such.

(29-02-2016, 04:20 PM)iaboy Wrote:  I would not fool with it myself. You have a doctor. If you play with the dosages too much, she/he could start ordering test and cut back on your legal scripts.... Then where would that leave you... There IS a reason why doctor's wish to monitor blood levels and such.

I applaud your word of caution, very sound advice. However in this case this is the plan my Doc and I formulated. That is why the prescription is for two .5mg estradiol pills twice daily instead of one 1mg estradiol pill twice daily so I would have the flexibility of trying smaller doses. Same with the spiro that is why it is three 50mg three times daily and not 75mg twice daily.

My Doc doesn't check E or T levels, but does check appropriate blood markers to ensure continued good health (liver, thyroid etc...). Since my goal isn't to transition I have a lot of say on dose amounts up to the level the Doc is comfortable with prescribing. Her comfort level maxes out at 6mg estradiol daily and I believe 200mg spiro daily.

Thanks for your thoughtful feedback.

(01-03-2016, 07:48 AM)WendyA Wrote:  
(29-02-2016, 04:20 PM)iaboy Wrote:  I would not fool with it myself. You have a doctor. If you play with the dosages too much, she/he could start ordering test and cut back on your legal scripts.... Then where would that leave you... There IS a reason why doctor's wish to monitor blood levels and such.

I applaud your word of caution, very sound advice. However in this case this is the plan my Doc and I formulated. That is why the prescription is for two .5mg estradiol pills twice daily instead of one 1mg estradiol pill twice daily so I would have the flexibility of trying smaller doses. Same with the spiro that is why it is three 50mg three times daily and not 75mg twice daily.

My Doc doesn't check E or T levels, but does check appropriate blood markers to ensure continued good health (liver, thyroid etc...). Since my goal isn't to transition I have a lot of say on dose amounts up to the level the Doc is comfortable with prescribing. Her comfort level maxes out at 6mg estradiol daily and I believe 200mg spiro daily.

Thanks for your thoughtful feedback.

Sorry Wendy, didn't see the part of your doctor's plan with higher doses.

I wish I had one of those near me... I'm in the USA, but Ohio doesn't seem to think informed consent should exist, since we don't have a single informed consent clinic in the entire state. None of the neighbor states have informed consent yet either.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon