Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Informed Consent and/or bust.

Yesterday I made the decision to finally take the plunge and move away from herbals and start HRT. I have been considering it for a long time, just couldn't push myself to call and make an appointment with a local clinic.

I don't really understand how the whole doctor/appointment thing works, so any advice would really help.

I am in the Seattle area, and I called a clinic that was recommended. The nice lady there told me they're booked until mid April 2016, but gave me 3 other numbers of places that she recommended to be seen sooner. I called all 3 places and they either didn't have openings for new patients, or their website states that they don't accept new patients.

I make good money, have insurance (if applicable) and can afford to pay for it if not covered. I just don't want to wait another 4 months. I have a primary care doctor, and don't know if I can ask him to start me on HRT..? I'm not looking at transitioning, have been on herbals for 2 years and have loved every change that has happened, both mental and physical.

I just want a doctor to put me on something that is monitored, instead of taking any more questionable herbs.

I've considered self medicating, but I'd put myself in the same boat I'm already in.

How do I do this!?

I ran into two, no longer accepting patients establishments too. I also ran into one that was not informed consent before I finally made the appointment I did.

The first thing I would do is schedule an appointment with the clinic for April in case nothing else pans out. I'm on the east coast and I used Planned Parenthood, is this an option in your area?

You certainly can ask your doctor. In researching I found that my current family doctor actually assisted a F2M transition without any therapist letter by just being asked about it during a scheduled appointment, so there is the possibility once I am comfortable with my dosage that I could move my care over to my local doctor.

Here are some links you probably already found.

Stepping Forward Informed Consent Providers

Cedar River Clinics

Capitol Hill Medical here is what they say about HRT.

Ingersoll Gender Center’s provider database

Good Luck

Just got off the phone w/a doctor that has an opening for end of next week! Now, I don't know what to do.. Like, do I bring that informed consent form? How do I explain what's going on? So, SO many questions..

(08-12-2015, 10:48 PM)SkyeBlu Wrote:  Just got off the phone w/a doctor that has an opening for end of next week! Now, I don't know what to do.. Like, do I bring that informed consent form? How do I explain what's going on? So, SO many questions..

The Informed Consent clinic I went to provided the needed forms and information. If this doctor is new to the concept having an example available might be wise, but the more important thing is having an honest conversation with your doctor to work out your treatment.

Susan's forums is a great place for information on these topics.

Good Luck.

Since I'm not looking to transition, what's the likelihood that he'll prescribe HRT? That's what I'm going for. I want to present male, but would kill to have a gorgeous, feminine body.. Did you get it the first time you went? I'm scared of objections..

(10-12-2015, 02:26 AM)SkyeBlu Wrote:  Since I'm not looking to transition, what's the likelihood that he'll prescribe HRT? That's what I'm going for. I want to present male, but would kill to have a gorgeous, feminine body.. Did you get it the first time you went? I'm scared of objections..

Even in groups that run off of the informed consent model objections are always a possibility. Here is how one health group in Chicago operates their informed consent model.

THInc Brochure
Hormone FAQs
Chicago Tribune article (Program puts transgender process on an easier path)

I answered all questions honestly and told the clinician that I don't foresee socially transitioning in my future. She told me we will start at a very low dose then (if I desire) we can progress up to what she considers a full transitioning dose of 6mg estradiol per day. How high a dose I eventually end up taking is ultimately up to me.

The blood tests took 4 days to come back, at which point she called me, went over the blood tests, and called in the prescription. In my case she faxed in the prescription so my first pills are literally in the mail as I write this. But by going via the mail-in pharmacy the cost for me for the prescription was $0.00.

Good Luck.

Thank you! I'm hoping this Dr will be able to assist and will listen. I am going to bring the PM/WP that I'm taking in with me, since I've already had amazing changes so far in my chest, and hoping that will show him that I'm already doing what I want to do, and that I'm extremely happy with the results so far.

I know I'm being a little needy in my questions, and have read everything that you've posted (links included). So, I hope you understand that I'm not just glossing over your responses, and appreciate all the info!

What medications/amount should I be asking for w/this Dr? I am 100% sure I want to go all the way up to a full transitioning dose ASAP (I'm aware it takes time.. 2 years on PM thus far!!) And would love to not start @ .5mg. If that's what's recommended to start, I don't want to be on it too long. I am scared that my T will come back to bite me in the butt.

Should I be asking for Spiro and Estradiol? Or is there something else I should be requesting?

It seems that 1mg estradiol twice a day is a typical starting dose. But I think any doctor who might subscribe said drugs has to be familiar with their use. There are real possible side effects which are why doses start out low and follow up blood tests are done to verify things are progressing fine before increasing the dose.

You need to do more research, Google is your friend. Good luck.

I'm in MD and considering taking the plunge. Let us know how you make out.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon