Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

OCD and Meds

After much digging I have found my link to
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and the fact that some of us here my not be as Dysphoric as we think ?

The final argument marshaled against the use of normal treatment methods for gender dysphoria has to do with one controlling one's own life. The thought is that if you want hormones, you should have hormones. It is nobody else's business. Perhaps if hormones and surgery were the right answer in every case and always solved the problem then I would agree, but I believe that the most recent evidence indicates that at least some cases of gender dysphoria (discomfort with one's birth gender) are cyclic in nature. This is because such dysphoria can be a side-effect of depression or Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Anyone who has been in "the community" long enough is familiar with the "purges" that so many go through - the throwing away of everything related to the dysphoria (clothing, makeup, etc.). People sometimes do this from a sense of hopelessness, but I suspect that at least in some cases they are doing it due to a change in brain chemistry.

It is very common to hear these people earnestly exclaim, "I can't believe I ever felt like that! I'm not a girl! That's got to be the stupidest thing I ever did." And they mean it! This strongly suggests that there is a change in brain chemistry going on, based on their complete change in perspective. Unfortunately, these cycles usually continue to repeat themselves unless medications are taken to keep brain chemistry in balance.

How, then, may we determine who can be helped by hormones and surgery, and who will be harmed? Do we give everyone a sex change who wants it, knowing that at least some of them will regret it later? Are we really willing to accept the despair and suicide of so many in order to have surgery-on-demand?

Transsexualism does indeed exist, and you - the reader - may be one of them. But it is very difficult for you to determine this entirely on your own. Perhaps you go through cycles of comfort and discomfort with your birth gender. Or maybe you use crossdressing and fantasies about being the other gender to relieve stress or depression. In any case, if you are suffering from depression or Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, your ability to rationally think through the issues of gender change is impaired. And that is why competent, professional therapy is needed.

I support the individual's right to present themselves in the gender they choose and I believe that transition is the best route for many. Anyone who considers themselves a conservative or libertarian should agree with me: It just isn't anyone ELSE's business! I support transition, hormones, and surgery for those who can benefit from this treatment, as long as they aren't hurting themselves or others. For persons who meet all of the criteria for Gender Identity Disorder, such steps may be the only way out of a constant cycle of anxiety and depression. But it is important to realize that not all gender dysphoria is Gender Identity Disorder, and I will discuss this further in subsequent pages.

and this is towards the end

Even if this work can help one or two of us here the post is worthwhile

?

full link to follow now and its a

GOOD HARD HITTING READ

May save some lives, may save some jobs and marriages , but if we have GD we have GD

BUT SOME OF US JUST MAY NOT ????

From the earliest research at Johns Hopkins and other facilities, evidence suggested that many transsexuals presenting themselves for treatment showed symptoms of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and/or clinical depression. Many of them had cyclic depressive disorders (Bipolar Mood Disorder [formerly known as Manic Depression], Depressive Disorder, etc.). Since the therapeutic community at that time was unaware of the actual biological causes of these conditions, they were thought to be the results of gender dysphoria.

Dr. Benjamin's stated purpose for his work was to develop standards by which people could receive hormones and plastic surgery, since he was aware that no psychotherapy options had been successful. But as a result, these other possibilities are not discussed in his writings. He noted only that psychotherapy had been particularly ineffective for those suffering from transsexualism.

It must be pointed out that in Dr. Benjamin's day (the 60's), Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder was thought to be a behavioral problem, caused by things such as overly harsh toilet training. Dr. Benjamin didn't know - nor could he have known - what we know today, which is that OCD & cyclic depression are biological conditions.. caused by a defect in brain chemistry. DO NOT SKIP OVER THIS POINT: OCD and cyclic depressive disorders are NOT behavioral issues, they are biological ones. Knowing this, I believe, should cause the psychiatric community to reevaluate treatment options for Gender Identity Disorder.

Once it was discovered that OCD and depression were brain conditions and not behavioral issues, medications were developed which more or less successfully treated many sufferers. Now here is the big secret nobody wants me to talk about: Empirically, these medications have also been shown to help SOME patients with Gender Identity Disorder and compulsive crossdressing.

Here it is

Now I do suffer from obsession and OCD so I shall be reading this in depth again

Julie

www.chrisspagani.com/gender/treatment.htm

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon