Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Fish oil effect on NBE?

sorry if this has already been asked....my search was fruitless.

Recent blood work and Doc said cholesterol was slightly elevated.
Rather than go drug route he said 6 months of fish oil and we'll check again.
Using GNC 1300 mg once a day.

Will this help, hurt or no effect on my 2000 mg PM and peony root extract?
Thanks Ladies!

Apparently the product you've selected is is enteric coated capsules containing natural oil still in triglyceride form. It is possible it may be slightly androgenic, Lotus can provide the details.

If you can find a product that's in ANY other form, do so. The prescribed benefits will still be there, and the risk to your NBE program will not. Though the esterized form might require a higher dose to provide the same benefit as the triglyceride form, and the phospholipid form won't require as high a dose. Only difference other than to NBE. Also, phospholipid should have NO effect on NBE, TG is androgenic, esterized is estrogenic.

Thank you Abi......so might need to raise the PM an extra 500 mg a day.
Hopefully Lotus will check in.

(31-03-2016, 02:46 PM)elainecd Wrote:  Thank you Abi......so might need to raise the PM an extra 500 mg a day.
Hopefully Lotus will check in.

Are you unable to use a different product?

well, wife bought a huge bottle of it....so for a while its the gNC stuff

Hi elaine,

fish oil might impede progress, evidence points that fish oil raises T by an increase in LH (lutenizing hormone) which stimulates the testes to produce T. In women I believe that increase comes by way of DHEA, (they're major androgen). This is why some people may see an increase in acne, but it can also help in mood (depression) by the same process if your T slips below normal production. It looks like high dose DHA might also impede estradiol, (gonna dig deeper on that one lol).

Another side to this (as abi pointed out) is that " ethyl ester " (EE) can oxidize to a more damaging form of trygleceride (from fish oil),
Quote:EEs are far less stable and can more readily produce harmful oxidation products
this is a hotly contested debate in the science / manufacturing world of fish oil, is it cost saving?.......maybe fit the manufacturers, but I believe it can damage the pancreas and kidneys as the article pointed out.

Are all fish oil concentrates ethyl esters?

Quote:The vast majority of fish oil concentrates sold globally; including those sold in North America are EPA and DHA EE concentrates. A small percentage of fish oil concentrates on the market are natural TGs. In the manufacturing of EE concentrates it is possible to convert the fatty acids back to TGs using food grade enzymes. This process, called glycerolysis, removes the ethanol molecule and re-esterifies the EPA and DHA fatty acids to a glycerol backbone. These are commonly referred to as re-esterfied or concentrated triglycerides (rTGs). The process of converting EE to TG is uncommon due to cost constraints adding 30-40 % to the end bulk oil cost. Therefore, the only rationale for omitting the glycerolysis step is cost cutting.

http://pi-bill-articles.blogspot.com/201...s.html?m=1

Ethyl ester fish oils are less stable, and readily oxidize

Omega-3 fatty acids in the form of EEs are much less stable than those in the natural TG form and readily oxidize. The oxidation kinetics of DHA as an EE or as a TG was assessed by measuring the concentration of oxygen found in the head space of a reaction vessel with both TG and EE forms17. The EE form of DHA was more reactive, and quickly oxidized, demonstrating that EEs are far less stable and can more readily produce harmful oxidation products17. Furthermore, the stability of phospholipid, triglyceride and EEs containing DHA has been assessed18. After a ten-week oxidation period, the EE DHA oil decayed 33 % more rapidly18.
Phsolipids

How can I determine if my fish oil is a natural triglyceride or an ethyl ester?

There is a simple, inexpensive and rapid method to determine if a fish oil supplement is in the TG or EE form by using polystyrene (Styrofoam) cups.

Method

Measure and place 20 ml of fish oil in a polystyrene cup. Place the cup on a plate to avoid any mess. Observe the cup after 10 minutes. If the fish oil has leaked significantly through the cup it contains EE. Due to their chemical composition, EE will actually eat straight through the polystyrene cup. This effect will become evident after just a few minutes; however, significant leakage is seen after 10 minutes. Natural TG fish oils placed in the same cup will not show leakage after 10 minutes. Natural TG fish oils may show leakage through the cup in very small amounts after 2-3 hours.

Info on fish oil
http://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=17436&page=346

So we're talking a double whammy....as Abi and you point out....EE is a bad thing.
I was wrong about the dosage. its 1500 mg. I do need to check for the coating.

Now as far as the potential to increase T....to offset this what do I do? Increase peony root extract? Increase PM?

I just want to get my slight elevated cholesterol down so he doesn't try to put me on any drugs. I take nothing except my vitamins and PM and would like to keep it that way.

Thank you Abi and Lotus for all the info and guidance.

(31-03-2016, 01:42 PM)elainecd Wrote:  sorry if this has already been asked....my search was fruitless.

Recent blood work and Doc said cholesterol was slightly elevated.
Rather than go drug route he said 6 months of fish oil and we'll check again.
Using GNC 1300 mg once a day.

Will this help, hurt or no effect on my 2000 mg PM and peony root extract?
Thanks Ladies!

About nine months ago I started taking Curbita-brand pumpkin seed oil capsules because of BPH, which was causing bladder infections and bladder stones. It's known as an effective DHT blocker and has no negative side effects. When I went for my annual physical four months later I learned that my cholsterol had dropped 22 points, into the normal range--my lowest ever recorded cholesterol reading. I then did some online research and learned that the is one of the benefits of pumpkin seed oil. You can order these capsules (1000 mg, thirty to a package), through Amazon.

Elaine,

I made the switch to krill oil last year after a tip from spanky (thanks), imo it's easier (smaller) on digestion. Is it possible to get a refund?. If not, I'd up anti-androgens to compensate for the increase in T, then run out the supply and in the future try krill oil. Another one to look at is astaxathin ( marine algae) one the most potent anti-oxidants (plus many other benefits).

Good luck.

(26-06-2015, 08:49 AM)Lotus Wrote:  In fish oil the EPA and DHA are mainly bound to triglycerides, while in krill oil fatty acids are bound to phospholipids. Phospholipids are important components of all cell membranes. They are also involved in some cellular signaling pathways, the molecular method cells use to telegraph information about physiological changes in their environments. Fatty acids, in addition to being components of phospholipids, are also involved in the storage of excess energy in fats known as tricylglycerols.
http://www.wellwise.org/blogs/charles-sp...atty-acids

So if you're looking into a new omega 3, look into krill oil, here's some more info on it. But I definitely believe lipid metabolism plays a big role in fatty acid synthesize of hormones, plus many other functions including diabetes, androgens (lowering), aromatase, aids in depression and so many other things.

(I'm not suggesting this supplement, I list it because it's great material with referenced study's).
SUPERBA KRILL POWDER
http://www.superbakrill.com/wp-content/u...-Paper.pdf

I am very sorry to necro a post like this but am i reading this right? fish oil can very likely be more of a hindrance than a benefit? Does that mean i should stop?

-Aria

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon