Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Estrogen Patches

Hello

I have been thinking of Self - Medicating. I wondered about starting taking a low dose of Estrogen, and wondered if starting by using a quarter of the lowest patch (25) for a month and doubling the dose in month 2 and 3 would be a good place to start. Or are my proposed does too low.

I understand that self - medication is not a good idea and would plan on getting medical checks after I start.

Any comments on this matter would be gratefully received.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Susan x

(11-04-2016, 09:22 PM)susancounty Wrote:  Hello

I have been thinking of Self - Medicating. I wondered about starting taking a low dose of Estrogen, and wondered if starting by using a quarter of the lowest patch (25) for a month and doubling the dose in month 2 and 3 would be a good place to start. Or are my proposed does too low.

I understand that self - medication is not a good idea and would plan on getting medical checks after I start.

Any comments on this matter would be gratefully received.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Susan x

Hi Susan and welcome.

Most of us on here are generally taking various herbs etc, rather than synthetics and whilst you will undoubtedly find much helpful info here, you'll probably find more specific help on DIY HRT on this site: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TsDo...mones/info

They will be able advise on specific hormones, dosage, do's and don'ts, etc.

Hello Pansy-Mae

Thank you for your help I will take a look at that site.

Susan x

Hi Susan,

Welcome to BN, I'm glad you asked this question. For a person to take DIY hormones a few has occurred right?, the point being it happens. Speaking from experience it's very risky as you well know, some of us get lucky and don't fuck ourselves up (and horribly, some don't make it) but.......hurting ourselves happens even with NBE too. Eventually, (hopefully) those who want to take transition to the next level get the courage to seek medical care, which ultimately saves lives. I hope you find the right path that best suites you, in the meantime, I remembered this study when I read your post, I hope it helps.

People with gender dysphoria who self-prescribe cross-sex hormones: prevalence, sources, and side effects knowledge.
Mepham N, et al. J Sex Med. 2014.
Show full citation
Abstract
INTRODUCTION: There is a scarcity of research into the use of non-physician-sourced cross-sex hormones in the transgender population. However, when medication is not prescribed by health professionals, users' knowledge of such medication may be adversely affected.

AIMS: This study aims to define the prevalence of Internet-sourced sex hormone use in a population attending for initial assessment at a gender identity clinic, to compare the prevalence between gender-dysphoric men and women, and to compare knowledge of cross-sex hormone side effects between users who source cross-sex hormones from medical doctors and those who source them elsewhere.

METHODS: In the first part of the study, a cross-sectional design is used to measure the overall prevalence of sex hormone use among individuals referred to a gender clinic. The second part is a questionnaire survey aiming at measuring sex hormone knowledge among individuals referred to this clinic.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Main outcome measures were (i) categorical data on the prevalence and source of cross-sex hormone use and (ii) knowledge of sex hormone side effects in a population referred to a gender clinic.

RESULTS: Cross-sex hormone use was present in 23% of gender clinic referrals, of whom 70% sourced the hormones via the Internet. Trans men using testosterone had a sex hormone usage prevalence of 6%; one-third of users sourced it from the Internet. Trans women had a sex hormone usage prevalence of 32%; approximately 70% of users sourced hormones from the Internet. Cross-sex hormone users who sourced their hormones from physicians were more aware of side effects than those who used other sources to access hormones.

CONCLUSION: One in four trans women self-prescribe cross-sex hormones before attending gender clinics, most commonly via the Internet. This practice is currently rare among trans men. Self-prescribing without medical advice leaves individuals without the knowledge required to minimize health risks.

© 2014 International Society for Sexual Medicine.

It's good to hear you want to start off slow and work your way up, and are already trying to get regular tests to monitor your levels.

Baseline tests are just as, maybe more, important before starting hormones. If there's something going on with your liver or kidneys that you're currently unaware of...HRT can have a serious impact. I had to wait 4 months before starting my prescription because some of my liver levels were high to begin with.

Anyway, I'm posting a few links that may help you find some medical support as well as hormone information.

Wishing you the best.

Links to help find resources

LGBT Near Me

LGBT Find-a-Center

TransHealth Clinics

Links on Hormone Information

Transgender Care Feminizing Program Info

VCH TransHealth Feminizing Hormones Info

UCSF TransHealth Baseline Tests and Other Information

Hello Lotus

Thanks for the message and advice. I also found the details of the study you sent to me of interest.

Regards

Susan x

Help Lana

Thanks for the message and the guidance.

Thank you also for the links to resources, which is very helpful and will keep me busy for most of today.

Regards

Susan x

I think threads like this show how much we can and do support one and another as a community. I know some sites would not only delete the posts, but would also ban the posters. I feel if somebody is asking these type of questions, they are going to do it regardless. At least we can help with some knowledge and suggestions of seeking some professional help.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon