Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Buzz Bissinger on gender identity

I caught a repeat broadcast of this a while back. I probably would not have listened to the show, based on the advertised subject... But I fell into it at the interesting part.

Transcript is linked below, but the interesting part, unless you like Friday Night Lights (I have no opinion), is a little more than halfway. Search for:
"DAVIES: In addition to being a writer, you've - you're an interesting character, Buzz. (Laughter) You - you know, you've..."

The audio is pretty good too.

< Reflecting On Football And Addiction As 'Friday Night Lights' Turns 25
http://www.npr.orvg/templates/transcript...=428085798

Some teasers...( there's really good gender discussion further on, at least it struck some chords with me)
DAVIES: You've certainly had some interesting television appearances. And for many years, you've been writing for Vanity Fair. And a couple of years ago, you wrote a really shockingly honest piece about what you call your Gucci addiction - an obsession with buying expensive designer clothes, particularly leather. You want to give us a sense of how deeply you were into this, the hold it had on you?

BISSINGER: The hold on it was enormous, like any addiction is. And make no mistake about it, it was a shopping addiction because - you know, it's a shopping addiction, but it's a sexual addiction. It's like any addiction. In my case, it was leather.... But my shopping became compulsive. I had to get packages. ... I bought a lot of women's clothing. And you know what? I like women's clothing. I've cross-dressed. I like cross-dressing. My wife knows it. My kids know about it. But I would buy two of the same thing... I had over a hundred leather jackets and probably close to a hundred pairs of leather pants.

BISSINGER: You know, I mean sexual in the sense that, you know, leather has become kind of a sexual icon to me. And, you know, the reason why - I became obsessed with it at a very young age. I had a difficult relationship with my mother who always wore leather gloves. There was a teacher in kindergarten who wore leather gloves and thought I was stupid. So I fixated on that. Why? I don't know, but I fixated, and I tried to repress it. And I did not wear a stitch of leather until I was 40 years old. I was very good at repressing things. And then I began when I was 40. And in my 50s, it became completely out of control.

It was a complicated sexual addiction. That was the diagnosis when I went into rehab - inpatient rehab. And it also - I was going through an all-purpose breakdown. I was playing around - you know, and I'm open about myself - I was playing around with S&M by myself, wearing paraphernalia that could be very dangerous, could have killed me, and I didn't really care. I didn't really care.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon