Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

PM & Blood pressure

I've been on and off of PM for the better part of two years now along with other herbs for breast growth. I see a endocrinologist every six months for my thyroid and the VA doctor annually, so I get blood work done three times a year and there's never been an issue.

Back In February I had a health screening from my healthcare provider and everything looked good except my blood pressure was slightly elevated 136/92

Last week I paid the visit to the VA doc, and while all my blood work came back good my blood pressure was now 156/98! They checked it three times and the best results were 148/94.

The next day at work after sitting at my desk for two hours I took my blood pressure and it was 154/95. I called the endo but he was out for the weekend so I called my primary care and they saw me immediately. Blood pressure was still elevated there after several checks so the doc put me on blood pressure meds.

I had been off all herbs for a week prior to the visit and still am not taking anything. I know SarahSchilling mentioned years ago about her blood "thickening" on PM so she stopped taking it and things returned to normal. I'm wondering if this is what is happening with me or could it be just coincidence? I've been eating much healthier (more fruits and veggies, very little red meat) but very little exercise except yard work and sex.

I see my endo in a week so I will be asking if perhaps it's synthroid related, even though those numbers all look good for my condition. My research shows higher estrogen levels can cause the need for higher synthroid to get the right levels, especially in women that are on hormone replacement or MTF trans. With this my thought is stopping PM caused my levels to elevate and yet while my blood work still looks good thus it's affecting my blood pressure. I could start taking PM again to see if it drops but hesitant to do so.

And it could all just be age related and I'm just overthinking things, as I'm 45 this year.

Obviously my health is the biggest concern...any thoughts on this?

Hello Scotti.

I'm sorry to hear you've been having problems with your blood pressure.

If pm has had an impact on my blood pressure, it would be have been lowering my blood pressure if anything.

Do you know if your family members close to your age also have blood pressure issues? There could be a genetic component to it. Also, do you drink plenty of water throughout the day and avoid caffeinated beverages? Dehydration can definitely increase your blood pressure. Lastly, have you considered adding some cardio exercise to your daily routines? That can also help to lower your blood pressure.

(04-06-2016, 02:41 AM)flamesabers Wrote:  Hello Scotti.

I'm sorry to hear you've been having problems with your blood pressure.

If pm has had an impact on my blood pressure, it would be have been lowering my blood pressure if anything.

Do you know if your family members close to your age also have blood pressure issues? There could be a genetic component to it. Also, do you drink plenty of water throughout the day and avoid caffeinated beverages? Dehydration can definitely increase your blood pressure. Lastly, have you considered adding some cardio exercise to your daily routines? That can also help to lower your blood pressure.

Thanks flame for the reply.

I drink close to a gallon of water and herbal teas daily with only one cup of coffee in the morning. Not many in my family have issues that I know if, but I'm researching that too. As for the exercise, yes, I need to stop making excuses and add that back into my routine...

do you live in any area where Lyme Disease is prevalent?

My dad went through triple bypass surgery. His blood pressure never went down. we went to the hospital to see what was wrong. they said it was normal for a man his age to have such high blood pressure. I said it wasn't. I went on WebMD and asked my dad a lot of questions, narrowed it down to lyme disease or a few others. told him to go get a blood draw to check for it. He did, and it was lyme disease. after he was on the meds for Lyme disease, his blood pressure returned to normal.

Not saying that is you issue, but just something to consider. hope you get better.

What brand of PM is it? Sarah did have issues when she was on pm and I had major issues on the first bottle I bought for this round of nbe. I actually ended up at my cardiologists office thinking I was in a-fib. I stopped taking it, and the symptoms stopped. Sarah was going to bring me her leftover pm last time I did her hair and couldn't find it so I ordered a new brand on Amazon and I haven't had any of the same symptoms! I'm wondering if it is something that was added in the brands we were using. I'm not sure what Sarah had but the one I had was natures answer and it made me feel terrible! I nearly blacked out driving and several times in the middle of haircuts. Scary stuff!

(04-06-2016, 02:46 AM)A Little Allelomorph Wrote:  do you live in any area where Lyme Disease is prevalent?

Not saying that is you issue, but just something to consider. hope you get better.

I'm not an area that is high on the Lyme disease chart and I have not been to exposed to any regions where the possibility is there in several years.

Thanks.

(05-06-2016, 02:17 AM)echapman Wrote:  What brand of PM is it?

It's Ainterol PM, the only brand I have ever taken, and always purchased from the same vendor.

I took ainterol and it gave me weird panic attacks when I was on it, but I was also on birth control pills and then the IUD at the time so that could be part of it. I'm using Barlowe's now and I haven't had any issues!

It could be thyroid related, though I'd get retested. I'd also have them look at cholesterol, Lutenizing & Follicle hormones, white blood cell count, T3 & T4, liver function, E2, SHBG too.

Thyroid hormone and blood pressure regulation.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/14594573/

(05-06-2016, 08:10 PM)Lotus Wrote:  It could be thyroid related, though I'd get retested. I'd also have them look at cholesterol, Lutenizing & Follicle hormones, white blood cell count, T3 & T4, liver function, E2, SHBG too.

Thanks Lotus. Having no thyroid, I am taking 210 mcg of Synthroid and have been for over a year. All blood work as measured two weeks ago and last week fell within normal and some particulars are as follows: (note being male I do not get tested for E2, SHBG, LH or FH).

Free T4: 1.66/1.4
TSH: .7/.12
WBC: 7.61
eGFR: >60/102
Cholesterol: 204

As I stated, I've never had this issue before, and I've had bloodwork done both while taking PM and not taking it. Research below shows that increased levels of estrogen when taking synthroid for thyroid issues will cause an increased dosage of synthroid to achieve the required affect, hence my wonderment if the two correlate into my having higher blood pressure.

http://www.webmd.com/women/news/20010608...id-disease
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15142374
http://www.allthyroid.org/askthedoctor/l...oxine.html

Regardless, it's weird as today my blood pressure has been <140 <90 all day and I have not even taken a blood pressure pill....

Guess I'll just see what the doc has to say.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon