Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

PM/HRT serum test analysis help

(16-07-2014, 06:13 PM)Lotus Wrote:  SHBG: The Master Regulator for Testosterone and Estrogen

SHBG is a protein produced primarily in the liver, although the testes, uterus, brain, and placenta also synthesize it. It serves as a transport carrier, shuttling estrogen and testosterone to sex hormone receptors throughout your body.11,12 SHBG also safeguards these vital hormones from degrading too rapidly and prevents their clearance from the body.

It thus acts as the master regulator of your sex hormone levels, maintaining the delicate balance between estrogen and testosterone critical to overall health in aging humans.

New evidence further indicates that the SHBG molecule itself plays another key role in the body: conveying essential signals to the heart, the brain, and adipose (fat) tissue that ensure their optimal function.13 There’s even a special SHBG receptor molecule on cell surfaces that functions much like the ubiquitous vitamin D receptor protein, helping cells communicate with one another.14,15 In other words, SHBG itself functions much like a hormone.

Knowing your SHBG levels, along with testosterone and estrogen, thus gives you and your doctor a more precise picture of your overall health—and enables you to take preventive measures against life-threatening conditions for which you may be at greater risk.

Aging Humans and Increasing SHBG: An Overlooked Threat

As you age, SHBG levels may steadily rise, even though your production of sex hormones continues to decline.8,16 The result? SHGB binds to what few sex hormones you have remaining and reduces their bioavailability to cells in your body.

With elevated SHBG in the blood, too much testosterone may be sequestered and thus functionally unavailable to healthy tissues. Because testing for SHBG is largely overlooked, many older men (and their doctors) may be led to believe through standard testing that they have “normal” total testosterone levels—but since most of it may be bound to elevated levels of SHBG, in actuality they may be testosterone deficient.16

Why? Testosterone, like all steroid hormones, is derived from cholesterol, a fat molecule.16 Fats don’t dissolve in water, so the amount of testosterone floating freely in your bloodstream is small (about 0.5-2% of the total amount).16,17 Most of the circulating testosterone in your blood is either bound to the protein albumin or to SHBG.18-20

It is the combination of free and albumin-bound testosterone that ultimately determines your bio-available testosterone status.16,21-24

As a result of imprecise testosterone measurement, aging men may experience signs of feminization as their increased SHBG binds testosterone, preventing testosterone from exerting its effects and leaving estrogen’s physiological impact on the male physiology unchecked.16 These may include gynecomastia (the development of fatty breast tissue in men), diminished libido and poor sexual performance, cognitive decline, and chronic fatigue.

Combating Metabolic Syndrome

While excess SHBG creates problems with sex hormone balance, having SHBG levels that are too low is associated with other disorders. Nowhere is the impact of low SHBG so profound as in the cluster of conditions known as the metabolic syndrome, which encompasses obesity, insulin resistance, lipid abnormalities, and chronic high blood pressure.9

In men, low total testosterone and low SHBG are predictors for a higher incidence of metabolic syndrome and many of its components.9,25-29

In late postmenopausal women, low SHBG and high estrogen levels correlate with the inflammatory state associated with metabolic syndrome.30 SHBG abnormalities have also been linked to an increased risk of acne, infertility, polycystic ovary syndrome, and uterine cancer in overweight women.6,31-33

The high insulin levels found in people stricken with metabolic syndrome have also been shown to suppress SHBG, creating a vicious cycle of abnormal SHBG activity.34,35

The good news is that testosterone supplementation for men, and bioidentical hormone replacement for women, may safely and effectively reverse many of these adverse, age-related metabolic changes.36,37 Obtaining accurate measurement of sex hormone levels through SHBG blood testing thus enables you and your doctor to prevent or combat common medical disorders.

Low SHBG Is a Key Marker of Cardiovascular Disease

SHBG levels have an important relationship with nearly every biomarker of cardiovascular disease, from C-reactive protein (CRP) to arterial calcification.38,39 Low SHBG is also associated with elevated triglycerides and low-density lipoprotein (LDL).40

Calcification of blood vessels, an early finding in cardiovascular disease, is also associated with lower SHBG levels, especially in women.10,38 Low SHBG in women is associated with higher levels of C-reactive protein (CRP), an important marker of inflammation and cardiovascular risk.39 In men, low SHBG indicated an increased risk of death from cardiovascular disease.35 In both men and women, low SHBG levels are strongly correlated with obesity.41

SHBG, alone and in the context of specific sex hormone levels, thus constitutes an integral predictor of a major chronic age-related condition. Some experts are now recommending SHBG measurements as another means of evaluating cardiovascular and metabolic risk.42

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2011/may2...tus_01.htm

(23-07-2016, 10:14 AM)WendyA Wrote:  I would love to contribute. I've been on E for 8 months and have no clue of my levels of E or T. My clinician feels the numbers simply drive folks nuts and E varies greatly during the day while taking E. I agree with her. I'm not looking to transition just keeping my brain in check and if an expanding chest is the side effect I'm good with that. Smile

Awesome, please contribute when you can. Lol, I'll agree with your doc, though I still want to know my results. I think it's a snap shot, whether things are on track or not.

O.k., Here is mine from 2 weeks ago. Still confused as how I haven't done any herbs ect for about 1 month now, and no discernible loss of breast fat or tissue.

I hope this will help you

Testost SerPl-msCnc 608.10 Testosterone, Total TIC ( I would of thought this would of been around 300, myself)

Lutenizing Hormone 14.15 ( Post Menopausal ??)

Estadiol 38.00 Pg/nl (Too low, for what I have accomplished?)

Beta HCG Quant <2.00 (Not sure why this was taken, cause I think it's for pregnancy??? LOL)

Albumin 4.5 g/dl ( Results from 4/15/16 )

iaboy Wrote:Beta HCG Quant <2.00 (Not sure why this was taken, cause I think it's for pregnancy???

Lol ...weird??

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(24-07-2016, 12:05 AM)iaboy Wrote:  O.k., Here is mine from 2 weeks ago. Still confused as how I haven't done any herbs ect for about 1 month now, and no discernible loss of breast fat or tissue.

I hope this will help you

Testost SerPl-msCnc 608.10 Testosterone, Total TIC ( I would of thought this would of been around 300, myself)

Lutenizing Hormone 14.15 ( Post Menopausal ??)

Estadiol 38.00 Pg/nl (Too low, for what I have accomplished?)

Beta HCG Quant <2.00 (Not sure why this was taken, cause I think it's for pregnancy??? LOL)

Albumin 4.5 g/dl ( Results from 4/15/16 )

Maybe their gauging negative feedback control of gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH) by the hypothalamus. I read that " continuous GnRH stimulation of gonadotrope cells in the pituitary increases LH and FSH production as well as pituitary hCG. " (just a guess) Rolleyes

Here's a personal observation based on seeing some lab tests (and not limited to this thread only). What if what we're seeing is that total T has no bearing?, meaning total T isn't active. The true bio-active hormones are not bound too SHBG, (meaning tied up).

And the way we can tell is from the free T percentage and bioactive T (testosterone) . Here's what I mean, my total T is almost 0 (3 ng/dL) and yet my free T percentage (the active amount of androgen, albeit free T) is the same as everyone else, and pretty much my bioT percentage too (being the same). And the other tell is the wild card SHBG, it looks like PM/nbe pushes SHBG up in genetic males.

My SHBG came back lower to 52, from 77 nmol/L........and with the decrease it showed a higher percentage of free T. Now, if I don't capitalize on this free T increase it'll go to DHT. This is scientifically proven fact about how DHT preferentially binds to SHBG.

If we can't control the rate of DHT binding, perhaps we merely render the metabolism of DHT inactive. This option is compilcated to explain, you see it's using 17beta HSD (17Beta Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase), picture it as a process of completely shutting DHT out of the cell receptor, like " red alert........shields up " denying access.

Thanks for the results iaboy. I think your in the same boat as Sofia, spanky, Marcy and others, meaning PM, and other nbe parts raise total T but keep free T low giving way to more phytoestrogens to block DHT,--------the issue of not seeing net estrogens showing up in blood is perplexing though, but in the back of our minds I think we knew this already (PM not showing up in the blood) though not expressed technically.

This link may belong elsewhere, but I found it interesting on diet and SHBG levels:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10634401

(25-07-2016, 01:16 PM)spanky Wrote:  This link may belong elsewhere, but I found it interesting on diet and SHBG levels:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10634401

Nice find spanky, I like the point on protein.

Here is my latest blood test results and information:
As of 7/22/2016

Testosterone, Serum 376 ng/dL Lab reference 348-1197 ng/dL

Estrogen 92 pg/mL Lab reference 40-115 pg/mL

SHBG 264.3 nmol/L Lab reference 16.5-55.9 nmol/L

Albumin 4.1 g/dL Lab reference 3.5-5.5 g/dL

Brand and Quantity has not changed
2000 mg Siam Natural PM pills
8mg Swansons Astaxanthin pill
450 mg Swansons Teavigo Green Tea Extract 90% EGCG pills
250 mg Swansons high potency red clover extract pills
1200 mg Swansons White Peony Root pills

So we might be seeming a pattern of high SHBG being exposed from test results shared (and thank you for sharing, the data is immeasurable). Wink

Free T = 1.37 ng/dL = 0.365 %
Bioavailable T = 30.7 ng/dL = 8.17 %

Free E2 = 0.0322 ng/dL = 0.350 %

Sofia. Green tea elevates SHBG, I believe PM does too. So, I also think we're also seeing increases in White Blood cell counts, high triglycerides, in other words, too much inflammation is going on, add stress, low protein (thanks for the find spanky), low energy, etc. (white blood cells are being attacked).

" Fitness first " has to be a credo with NBE/HrT........more antioxidants, and vitamins, fruits, veggies, etc. Also, fending off free radicals and inflammation in our cells is a good battle plan.

Sofia, these results hold steady from last test results, the indications are that DHT is inhibiting free T (as a percentage). Total T isn't bioavailable, SHBG does show what's active, despite what total T says.

Don't forget to have calcium (magnesium too) in the plan.

(24-07-2016, 12:05 AM)iaboy Wrote:  Beta HCG Quant <2.00 (Not sure why this was taken, cause I think it's for pregnancy??? LOL)

I know for fact that doctors use this as a tumor marker for certain types of cancer. For a genetic male if it's well above that you have something going on that shouldn't be....

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon