Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Licorice root: Pros and Cons

I am considering adding Licorice root to my program and noticed that there was a warning in the descriptions.

Has any body used or is using Licorice root in their program.

I want to hear the good bad and ugly from people who have or are actually using it.

Thanks

Christina

(28-11-2016, 04:17 PM)dcdee Wrote:  I am considering adding Licorice root to my program and noticed that there was a warning in the descriptions.

Has any body used or is using Licorice root in their program.

I want to hear the good bad and ugly from people who have or are actually using it.

Thanks

Christina

I did use it in my NBE program, I didn't have any side effects, although I used to cycle it every 2 weeks.

(28-11-2016, 04:45 PM)jannet.duff Wrote:  I did use it in my NBE program, I didn't have any side effects, although I used to cycle it every 2 weeks.

Thanks Jannet

I was planning on cycling it 2 on 2 off. 
I am also thinking about using it in conjunction with WP.

What dose were you taking>

(28-11-2016, 05:23 PM)dcdee Wrote:  
(28-11-2016, 04:45 PM)jannet.duff Wrote:  I did use it in my NBE program, I didn't have any side effects, although I used to cycle it every 2 weeks.

Thanks Jannet

I was using extract .75ml twice a day. I also took the WP at the same time. ( I actually stIll take WP even on HRT.)

(28-11-2016, 05:41 PM)jannet.duff Wrote:  

Thanks Jannet

I was using extract .75ml twice a day. I also took the WP at the same time. ( I actually stIll take WP even on HRT.)

Hi Jannet,

Do you think that the WP and or Licorice helped? Do you notice any changes? I am thinking of using them when I start with PM - whenever it gets here Smile

Thanks

(28-11-2016, 09:24 PM)fwbcolumbia Wrote:  
(28-11-2016, 05:41 PM)jannet.duff Wrote:  

Thanks Jannet

Hi Jannet,

Do you think that the WP and or Licorice helped? Do you notice any changes? I am thinking of using them when I start with PM - whenever it gets here Smile

Thanks

With all the different herbs taken when I was on NBE, it's difficult to say.
I did make a habbit of cycling my herbs. I would use PM extract till it ran out, then do a  cycle with a bottle of Red Clover, them back to WP. but I would also cycle WP and Reishi. Some times I would add some Licorice or even black cohosh into the mix. Of course your millage may vary, but I was able to get my T on herbs to almost female levels. E was never checked, but I did manage a small A cup in @ 12 months. Of course everyone is different, a few people have managed much more than myself on much less in the same time frame.

Before trying PM, I tried something called Red Clover Supreme, by Gaia Herbs...it had a mix of Red Clover, Licorice Root, Stinging Nettle, as well as a lot of other things that may or may not be estrogenic...after about 10 days it made the blood vessels in my eardrum area race...quite annoying, and scary...

With so many things, I can't say which caused it, but not trying it again, though still have the bottle...

(29-11-2016, 07:18 AM)PaulaJ Wrote:  Before trying PM, I tried something called Red Clover Supreme, by Gaia Herbs...it had a mix of Red Clover, Licorice Root, Stinging Nettle, as well as a lot of other things that may or may not be estrogenic...after about 10 days it made the blood vessels in my eardrum area race...quite annoying, and scary...

With so many things, I can't say which caused it, but not trying it again, though still have the bottle...

If I recall correctly, that is one of the side effects of Licorice Root, it can raise your blood pressure. That's one reason you should use the dlg version.

(29-11-2016, 01:17 PM)jannet.duff Wrote:  
(29-11-2016, 07:18 AM)PaulaJ Wrote:  Before trying PM, I tried something called Red Clover Supreme, by Gaia Herbs...it had a mix of Red Clover, Licorice Root, Stinging Nettle, as well as a lot of other things that may or may not be estrogenic...after about 10 days it made the blood vessels in my eardrum area race...quite annoying, and scary...

If I recall correctly, that is one of the side effects of Licorice Root, it can raise your blood pressure. That's one reason you should use the dlg version.

dlg version?

Licorice root is counter productive for NBE/Hrt, dgl form too. 

(17-11-2016, 04:33 AM)Lotus Wrote:  LR oxidizes NAPDH and inhibits P450 enzymes,  what's more interesting (imo) is the latter part. Meaning I see LR inhibiting aromatase, not potentiating it. Oh sure LR binds to estrogen receptors, but that's where I think it ends. My reasoning is what it isn't doing to the P450 enzyme, (i.e. not synthesizing it). 

Agonistic and antagonistic estrogens in licorice root (Glycyrrhiza glabra)

Several fractions displayed higher responses than the maximum response obtained with the reference compound, the natural hormone 17β-estradiol (E2).

The roots of licorice are a rich source of flavonoids, in particular, prenylated flavonoids, such as the isoflavan glabridin and the isoflavene glabrene. Fractionation of an ethyl acetate extract from licorice root by centrifugal partitioning chromatography yielded 51 fractions. 
One third of the fractions displayed estrogenic activity towards either one or both estrogen receptors (ERs; ERα and ERβ). Glabrene-rich fractions displayed an estrogenic response, predominantly to the ERα. Surprisingly, glabridin did not exert agonistic activity to both ER subtypes. Several fractions displayed higher responses than the maximum response obtained with the reference compound, the natural hormone 17β-estradiol (E2). The estrogenic activities of all fractions, including this so-called superinduction, were clearly ER-mediated, as the estrogenic response was inhibited by 20–60% by known ER antagonists. Most fractions displaying superinduction were rich in flavonoids with single prenylation. Glabridin displayed ERα-selective antagonism, similar to the ERα-selective antagonist RU 58668. Whereas glabridin was able to reduce the estrogenic response of E2 by approximately 80% at 6 × 10−6 M, glabrene-rich fractions only exhibited agonistic responses, preferentially on ERα.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles...po=7.50000

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon