Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

DIY Voice Training.

I`m sure there`s tons of expert advice out there on this subject and some Very Expensive ones too (even some of the Apps), I`m not going to try an compete with all that, but I thought I would share what seems to be working for Me at least, and maybe someone else may find useful?

my Main problem was actually finding the time to Do any of this, some do it in the car (I don`t drive) some do it when they`re alone (well Duuuh!), I managed to find a little 20 minute time slot! and that`s when my wife take child number 2 to school. and what i did was simply practice Singing! well, Humming really, and trying to increase my upward range.

if you`re anything like me, this will make you cough quite a lot! get used to it! LOL
I did scales for only about 10 mins at a time, you don`t want to overdo it as that can damage stuff, holding the highest note you can before getting neck cramp is helpful to start, but then after a while (about 5 sessions) it gets easier, so at this highest note, come down a note, and then another, but instead of just individual note, try sliding between them. sometimes a bit like a siren going off, rising and falling frequency (don`t go too low, testosterone already mastered that for you).
then try random notes and slide between them, note any breaks or gaps that you have and try them again until you can do it.

you`ll find that Eventually that without even trying, your normal talking voice will gain some of that extra range quite naturally and with no conscious effort, took me about a month of doing this and I can hit notes naturally in speach that would have never occured before.

when I was younger (in my 20`s) I used to talk for Hours over CB radio en femme, and no one had a clue, well, except a certain group of friends that knew and would listen in on the wind up (Funny how being Trans-like was OK if it involved giving some poor bloke a hard time, just for a giggle) , i seem to have lost that ability over the decades of smoking and drinking (I do neither now), but Slowly i`m begining to regain that.

ok, now another thing, if you have an adams apple (I never had one), you can kind of use this as a reference point for changing your resonance, and if like me you don`t have one, the proceedure is the same but just a bit more difficult to find.
if you put your hand on your throat and swallow you will feel a small bone thingy move Upwards and almost vanish entirely, keep swallowing until you find it (no dirty jokes please!).
once you`ve found it, you need to try and keep it at it`s highest position for as long as you can, if it falls back down, just swallow and try again, it Is tricky at first, but eventually you can do it at will and you`ll find there`s even something like a little ledge that it can rest on and stay there quite naturally without any effort, if you talk now, your voice will be much more in your head than in your chest, keep feeling that bone make sure it doesn`t fall. eventually there`s a muscle memory that takes over and it becomes almost automatic, i`v even been woken in the middle of the night and said something in my girl voice, no conscious action at all!

ok, so that`s 2 of the main things out the way, the next is breathyness, sorry but you know what that is, you just need to practice that one by ear until it sounds right, just try whispering really loud, you`ll get the hang of it!

then it`s all just a case of putting the lot together, maybe do your scales with breathy, or scales with your bone in place (really, Just Don`t, it`s too easy! LOL).

but probably the Most important of all these is to actually Do It! at least once a day if you can, don`t expect instant results, it`s like HRT, it`s a slow process but Does work!

and for the dirty minded individuals amongst you... "That`s what She said!"

(03-11-2017, 12:46 PM)Katie Wrote:  I`m sure there`s tons of expert advice out there on this subject and some Very Expensive ones too (even some of the Apps), I`m not going to try an compete with all that, but I thought I would share what seems to be working for Me at least, and maybe someone else may find useful?

my Main problem was actually finding the time to Do any of this, some do it in the car (I don`t drive) some do it when they`re alone (well Duuuh!), I managed to find a little 20 minute time slot! and that`s when my wife take child number 2 to school. and what i did was simply practice Singing! well, Humming really, and trying to increase my upward range.

if you`re anything like me, this will make you cough quite a lot! get used to it! LOL
I did scales for only about 10 mins at a time, you don`t want to overdo it as that can damage stuff, holding the highest note you can before getting neck cramp is helpful to start, but then after a while (about 5 sessions) it gets easier, so at this highest note, come down a note, and then another, but instead of just individual note, try sliding between them. sometimes a bit like a siren going off, rising and falling frequency (don`t go too low, testosterone already mastered that for you).
then try random notes and slide between them, note any breaks or gaps that you have and try them again until you can do it.

you`ll find that Eventually that without even trying, your normal talking voice will gain some of that extra range quite naturally and with no conscious effort, took me about a month of doing this and I can hit notes naturally in speach that would have never occured before.

when I was younger (in my 20`s) I used to talk for Hours over CB radio en femme, and no one had a clue, well, except a certain group of friends that knew and would listen in on the wind up (Funny how being Trans-like was OK if it involved giving some poor bloke a hard time, just for a giggle) , i seem to have lost that ability over the decades of smoking and drinking (I do neither now), but Slowly i`m begining to regain that.

ok, now another thing, if you have an adams apple (I never had one), you can kind of use this as a reference point for changing your resonance, and if like me you don`t have one, the proceedure is the same but just a bit more difficult to find.
if you put your hand on your throat and swallow you will feel a small bone thingy move Upwards and almost vanish entirely, keep swallowing until you find it (no dirty jokes please!).
once you`ve found it, you need to try and keep it at it`s highest position for as long as you can, if it falls back down, just swallow and try again, it Is tricky at first, but eventually you can do it at will and you`ll find there`s even something like a little ledge that it can rest on and stay there quite naturally without any effort, if you talk now, your voice will be much more in your head than in your chest, keep feeling that bone make sure it doesn`t fall. eventually there`s a muscle memory that takes over and it becomes almost automatic, i`v even been woken in the middle of the night and said something in my girl voice, no conscious action at all!

ok, so that`s 2 of the main things out the way, the next is breathyness, sorry but you know what that is, you just need to practice that one by ear until it sounds right, just try whispering really loud, you`ll get the hang of it!

then it`s all just a case of putting the lot together, maybe do your scales with breathy, or scales with your bone in place (really, Just Don`t, it`s too easy! LOL).

but probably the Most important of all these is to actually Do It! at least once a day if you can, don`t expect instant results, it`s like HRT, it`s a slow process but Does work!

and for the dirty minded individuals amongst you... "That`s what She said!"
I've been starting doing something similar.   I read outloud after doing "scales", but when I read, I sing, but try to chop the words so as to not really sing....  Just keeping the upper scale.  I have only been doing so for a week or two, but think it is helping.

I talk and sing to the cats, and often do their lines (voice what they're saying with their meows) as well, lol. Mix of both M & F, so quite a range. Not exactly traditional voice training per se, but definitely confirmation that someone's become a cat lady! lol

I does take time, practice and does seem to improve the more you do "Mums" and "Scales" (watching too many videos I guess).  One question... has anyone notice being a little horse at the top of the throat after a good practice in the car or at home.  Ive had this happening for the last week after several weeks of practice. Its doesn't really hurt, but Im wondering if others have shared the same feeling or know of any science behind it?

(07-11-2017, 12:10 AM)Mindy2017 Wrote:  has anyone notice being a little horse at the top of the throat after a good practice in the car or at home.

I did at first yes, but then I remember reading that it`s also quite easy to damage yourself by overdoing it, so after it had recovered again, I just went a little easier the next time, I think lots of short sessions are better than one long one.
it`s important to be careful and not push outselves too hard. xx

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon