Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

U.S. rolls back protections for transgender prison inmates

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-rolls-back-protections-for-transgender-prison-inmates/ar-AAxajSz?ocid=spartanntp&ffid=gz

The Trump administration has rolled back protections for transgender prison inmates introduced under former President Barack Obama after some prisoners challenged the policies in court.

An inmate's biological sex will now be used to make the initial decision as to where transgender prisoners are housed, instead of the gender to which they identify, according to a change in guidelines announced on Friday by the U.S. Bureau of Prisons.

The move, decried by transgender rights advocates, comes after four women held at a Texas detention center filed a federal lawsuit. The inmates argued that the previous prison guidelines, introduced in January 2017 just days before Obama left office, put them at greater risk of rape because they might have to share facilities with transgender women.

Under President Donald Trump, the Justice Department said in August that it would evaluate the issues in the lawsuit.

Following Friday's change to the guidelines, first reported by BuzzFeed News, prison authorities are instructed to consider the health and safety of transgender inmates, as well as "whether placement would threaten the management and security of the institution and/or pose a risk to other inmates in the institution."

Bureau of Prisons officials did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Saturday. But Nancy Ayers, a spokeswoman for the agency, told BuzzFeed News that the new policy takes into account the needs of all federal prisoners "and articulates the balance of safety needs of transgender inmates as well as other inmates."

The move was condemned by transgender activists, who point to official statistics that show transgender inmates are at disproportionate risk of suffering sexual violence.

"The decision to disregard a transgender person's gender identity is harmful and disrespectful," David Stacy, government affairs director of the Human Rights Campaign, a lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender advocacy group, said in a statement.

The Trump administration has sought to ban transgender people from serving in the U.S. military and has taken other steps aimed at rolling back transgender rights.

In October, the administration said a federal law banning gender-based workplace discrimination does not protect transgender employees, reversing another Obama-era position.

In February, Trump rescinded Obama administration guidance that said public schools should let transgender students use the restroom corresponding to their gender identity.

(Reporting by Maria Caspani; Editing by Daniel Wallis and Tom Brown)

[/url]

[url=https://web.skype.com/share?url=http%3a%2f%2fa.msn.com%2f01%2fen-us%2fAAxajSz%3focid%3dss&lang=en-us&flow_id=e592d1a9-d99a-49a8-a1e7-4024458bd382&source=msn]

however clear his hatred and viriol is towards us, I can`t help but feel that this will somehow backfire eventually and turn around spectacularly in our favor, maybe it`s the eternal optimist in me or something else, but it`s just a gut feeling I have.
he quite clearly has an Anti-Trans agenda, and I don`t think the public (especially the Woke Millenials) will allow this for much longer. xx

Love to debate and argue and was in the middle of such with someone who is clearly and wholeheartedly in the "chumpian" camp, who in a heated moment, blurted out their real motives/fears behind their dogged support of the latter:

"Because the gays and transgenders will be able to be open about it...and take over!"

I laughed and said: "So?"

It's both amusing and sad that when squeezed, often what comes out is simple, flat out bigotry.

Politicians stoke these fears (whether they believe them themselves or not) to rile up supporters.

Sometimes this type of phobia smacks of "though dost protest to much." Like they're afraid the "gay" is going to rub off on them, or heaven forbid, what may already be lurking within as their own "not so straight" desires may overpower them! lol

Reminds me of these powerful scenes from the film American Beauty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kbw3_Vq4F0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQou0R1IZRg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlRk8ga189A

There is more than a little irony in the contention of the lawsuit that placing trans women in the female prison exposes the other female inmates to a risk of rape.  It is dead certain that, once put back in the men's prison, the trans women will be raped.  I cannot imagine how harrowing it must be for them to be confined in the midst of the male prisoners.

I hate to throw rocks, but this is prison. Trans or straight they are not in prison for teaching Sunday School.
And I am no expert but I think rape is a regular occurrence in prison. So much so they issue condoms.
Bobbi

They are sentenced to prison, not to sexual assault.  Nobody is talking about coddling prisoners or anything.  Just not subjecting them to a high probability of being victims of a crime.

We are on the midst of a provincial election here in Ontario. Unfortunatly for us the Conservative leader is using Trumps playbook.
Fear is he will try and roll back any protections the LBGT community have.
Luckily for us, it is not as easy to roll back as it is in the states. On top of that we have a 3 major partys, and unless the conservatives can get a majority thats greater than the other two combined, it makes the roll back even more difficult.
The one thing the conservatives like to do is cut back heavily on public funding for health care, that would defiantly put an end to any GRS.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon