Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Choosing phytoestrogens

Hello everyone...
I've just joined....15 minutes ago... Big Grin ....
It was a pleasing surprise to come across this magnificent forum...warm greetings to all.
I have just begun HRT...three days after turning 69. My doctor asked me to research about herbal therapy before including some phytos in my routine. In South America, where I write from, it's not easy to find an endocrinologist with ample knowledge on phytoestrogens and herbs, she wants me to gather the information and consult with her before deciding what and what not to take. 
I have, in the past, read so much...and I would like to consider the following:
Pueraria mirifica
Black cohosh
White peony
Vitex
Spearmint
Saw palmetto
Red clover
Reishi
Licorice
Wild yam
MSM
Hops
Fenugreek
Fennel
EGCG
Yarrow
DIM
Dong quai
Artemisia
Evening primrose
Boron
 Now, I am not planning on taking evrything; besides, it is extremely difficult to find most of these suplements here and customs limit the amount of herbs one can order from abroad. Thus, any suggestions, comments, advise, will be greatly appreciated.
Great day to everyone.
Yarae Yamile

(17-09-2023, 01:41 PM)Yaraé Wrote:  ...In South America, where I write from, it's not easy to find an endocrinologist with ample knowledge on phytoestrogens and herbs, she wants me to gather the information and consult with her before deciding what and what not to take. ...
Hi Yaraé, and welcome!

I can understand your frustrations with customs and finding "unusual" supplements. However, often less is more, and you might try some easier available substances first. In m.h.o. Pueraria Morifica is the most powerful herb for feminization and breast development. but it is likely difficult to find locally. And importing  could be problematic, too. However, Fenugreek, which is a common spice in many cuisines, might be easier available. Please read about it (Lotus has collected a lot of herbal information an scientific articles). Another thing you should consider is a testosterone blocker. Reishi mushroom powder might be available locally. Or maybe not as powerful, but still useful Saw Palmetto, which is used by many for instance against prostate problems.

Additional useful supplements, such as MSM, Vitamin C, Calcium/Zinc/Magnesium supplement, might be likely also locally available.

In your situation I would first look a bit deeper what the more experienced people, such as Lotus, have written, and then do some internet search and visits to shops selling supplements. Then you can find out what is feasible when in Columbia.

_Teddy

We could perhaps be of more help if you could narrow that list down to the products that ARE easily available to you. 

Do not over-complicate this.
You only need one anti-androgen, such as Red Rishi, White Peony or Saw Palmetto, but there are others if you cannot get these.
You only need one phytoestrogen, such as Pueraria Mirifica, Fenugreek, Red Clover, Fennel (there are so many) and hopefully, a progesterone source, such as Wild Yam.

Slow and steady wins the race. You should start with a low dose, such as 500mg of phyto and take it regularly.
Do not overwhelm your body with loads of supplements. That is a burden on your system.

Try to use the lowest doses possible to get the desired effect. If you need a higher dose, go up one step at a time, for example, to 1000mg. 
If you are not getting any effects after a couple of weeks or a month, such as sensations in your breasts of some loss of libido, bump it up to 1500mg, etc.
If you start at 2000mg, you will never know if 1000mg or 1500mg would have be enough to get what you want.
You would have to stop everything for a month, clear you body out and start over, working your way up, like you should have done it the first time. Understand?

Breast of luck...
Karen  Heart

(17-09-2023, 02:52 PM)Teddy Wrote:  
(17-09-2023, 01:41 PM)Yaraé Wrote:  ...In South America, where I write from, it's not easy to find an endocrinologist with ample knowledge on phytoestrogens and herbs, she wants me to gather the information and consult with her before deciding what and what not to take. ...
Hi Yaraé, and welcome!

I can understand your frustrations with customs and finding "unusual" supplements. However, often less is more, and you might try some easier available substances first. In m.h.o. Pueraria Morifica is the most powerful herb for feminization and breast development. but it is likely difficult to find locally. And importing  could be problematic, too. However, Fenugreek, which is a common spice in many cuisines, might be easier available. Please read about it (Lotus has collected a lot of herbal information an scientific articles). Another thing you should consider is a testosterone blocker. Reishi mushroom powder might be available locally. Or maybe not as powerful, but still useful Saw Palmetto, which is used by many for instance against prostate problems.

Additional useful supplements, such as MSM, Vitamin C, Calcium/Zinc/Magnesium supplement, might be likely also locally available.

In your situation I would first look a bit deeper what the more experienced people, such as Lotus, have written, and then do some internet search and visits to shops selling supplements. Then you can find out what is feasible when in Columbia.

_Teddy

Hello Teddy,
Thank you for your message.
Yes, I have Heard that in terms of herbal aid, as yiu say: “less is more”. From  what I have read, Pueraria is the most effetive
Herb. Here in Colombia, it is not found…some people advertise in our local versión of Ebay, for almost three times what it may cost in the USA, plus shipping charges.
In terms of Fenugreek, I have just found an online store that sells it in 100mg capsules….but I know that in other countries it is sold in higher concentration (200-30mgs). The Price is also almost 300% more than it costs in NorthAmerica…pkus local shipping charges.
I had come across an article before I discovered this fórum, in whci some of Lotus’ suggestions were republished. In fact, mosto f the conclusions I arrived to came from Reading those notes. In terms of testosterone blocker, I didn’t know that reishi’s Benefit is down that Street; thanks.
I have used…and continue using Saw Palmetto in the concentration available here.
I am currently gathering information about local availability of the rest that you mentioned in your kind note. It does begin to look less difficult.
Thank you so much darling, for your time and helpful suggestions. A big hug from South America.
Yaraé

Hi Yaraé,

Regarding Fenugreek, why not to buy it as a powder from a spice shop? I am doing that, it is that way much cheaper, and you can take it even a gram or two! If you mix it with for instance yogurt, it is also quite palatable.

br Teddy

(20-09-2023, 05:33 AM)Teddy Wrote:  Hi Teddy, Totally right on FNGRK, I use it in salads sometimes...and I will try in in soups. Yogurt, great idea. Thnk you honey,
Yaraé

Hi Yaraé,

Regarding Fenugreek, why not to buy it as a powder from a spice shop? I am doing that, it is that way much cheaper, and you can take it even a gram or two! If you mix it with for instance yogurt, it is also quite palatable.

br Teddy

(18-09-2023, 01:28 AM)Karen Hart Wrote:   Hello Karen…
Thanks for your reply…I am cvurrently asking questions to stores and distributors along the lines of what you suggest.
I didn’t mean to seem overcomplicated about this. I actually tend to be too detail-oriented, which may not be so Good, and may also come across as excessive.

Thanks for your ideas to synthesize this, as well as for your suggestions in terms of doses, process and the words of warning. It isa ll greatly appreciated.

Good luck and again thank you.
Yaraé

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon