Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Red reishi dilemma

Here’s an interesting puzzle…

I just bought some Red Reishi from Amazon UK. The description claims that the dosage is 1100 mg, though closer scrutiny reveals that this actually takes the form of 2x 550 mg capsules per daily dose.

The order just arrived and looks pretty much as it does in the listing. So far so good, except that the capsules I received are shown on the container label as being 7500 mg! The suggested dosage on the label is 1 capsule per day, which strikes me as being a huge discrepancy from the listing. I have contacted the manufacturer to request clarification.

I can accept that dosing of substances sold as ‘dietary supplements’ is not going to be as closely regulated as pharmaceuticals but it got me wondering what the optimal daily dosage would be for red reishi capsules. If anyone can offer some guidance I think I might be better off trusting the collective wisdom of BN over the somewhat random values of the manufacturer.

So, anyone able to tell me how much RR I need each day?

Chestnut

I have the same dilemma. I purchased piping rock RR from Amazon. The dosage is 2500mg per capsule with an asterisk stating it's "Equivalent from 500mg 5:1 extract". Quite confusing. My assumption is that it is actually 500 mg of RR and the rest filler but I wouldn't know for sure. Hopefully someone can weigh in on this.

Well the clue is the "extract" part of the label.

Please read more about this before taking supplements, it is fairly standard stuff for herbs, as a mistake could mean taking a lot more or less than you wanted to take.

Basically, your RR is an extract (some sort of chemical process that takes the raw ingredient, gets rid of anything that's not useful, and then packages that into the product).

So, that's 2500mg raw RR, that went through some sort of processing, to fit the "desired" or "active" components into a 500mg capsule.
5:1 extract of 500mg.  500mg * 5 is 2500mg.

Thanks for the info. I will read up more on how to interpret the information provided on these labels tonight.

(11-01-2024, 08:49 PM)prostatenipple Wrote:  Well the clue is the "extract" part of the label.

Please read more about this before taking supplements, it is fairly standard stuff for herbs, as a mistake could mean taking a lot more or less than you wanted to take.

Basically, your RR is an extract (some sort of chemical process that takes the raw ingredient, gets rid of anything that's not useful, and then packages that into the product).

So, that's 2500mg raw RR, that went through some sort of processing, to fit the "desired" or "active" components into a 500mg capsule.
5:1 extract of 500mg.  500mg * 5 is 2500mg.
In principle, yes. 

However, the extraction method and solvent have a great impact what is extracted and what is left behind. Therefore, in general, extract may lack some of the useful stuff, either because they are soluble to the solvent used (often either water or alcohol), or the method might use such a high temperature that some of substances are changed/destroyed.

In the other hand, in some cases the extract is utilized/absorbed either better or, sometimes, less well than the raw material.

That makes it very difficult to judge the real effective extraction ratio, and also to compare different suppliers' products. It is a bit frustrating situation. I am myself therefore using RR and PM in natural powder format, mixing it in a suitable smoothie-type drink.

I want to add Red reishi  --there are so many bands --what's the best one out there-- I'll be ordering from Amazon USA ---any suggestions would be appreciated.  Smile

(12-01-2024, 05:36 PM)Niaja Wrote:  I want to add Red reishi  --there are so many bands --what's the best one out there-- I'll be ordering from Amazon USA ---any suggestions would be appreciated.  Smile

Well, I've just ordered from UK eBay this afternoon.
A Nutri Nature brand made in the UK. I've no idea what it's like as I've never tried Red Reishi before. I've heard that people can have allergic reactions to these mushrooms so I'm a bit nervous.

The one I ordered says:
Serving is 2 capsules.
Organic Red Reishi Mushroom Dual Extract 20:1  1160mg  50% polysaccharides - 30% Beta D Glucan - 4% Triterpene
Take 1 serving daily.

I dont know if those things are good or bad.

Over at the Lotus' notes thread it states: "The standard dose for the basic extract is 1.44g – 5.2g. The most popular dose is 5.2g, taken in three doses of 1,800mg."  https://www.breastnexum.com/showthread.php?tid=24358&page=3

I'm guessing since Red Reishi is a strong 5-AR inhibitor (notes from Lotus "reishi mushrooms significantly reduced levels of 5-alpha reductase") and since I'm supposed to be taking Testosterone therapy, if I take both then I'd have more Free Testosterone (for libido) and more Free Testosterone for aromatisation into Estrogen for my breasts. That's the theory.

(12-01-2024, 05:36 PM)Niaja Wrote:  I want to add Red reishi  --there are so many bands --what's the best one out there-- I'll be ordering from Amazon USA ---any suggestions would be appreciated.  Smile
I use HiVital Reishi 10000 mg 20:1 extract. With 50% polysaccharides, 10% Beta-glucans and 2% triterpens.

No idea if it is on the US Amazon, and i don't think it is the best out there but so far it has worked okay for me i guess.

The red reishi I bought through Amazon UK (see my original post) was branded ‘Alpho 01’ and claims to be organinc, vegan, halal and so on. Sounds fine, but I have to admit that I am completely baffled about what the correct dosage should be. According to the directions on the label it is:

1 capsule per day containing 7500mg (from 15:1 extract providing 250mg Polysaccharides)”

I assume that this equates to 7.5 g, which I think should be more than enough to cover Lotus’s recommendation, but I would be very happy if somebody could confirm that I am correct in that assumption!

When I originally ordered the red reishi, the Amazon listing said that the dosage was 1100 mg (2 x 550 mg capsules) per day. When I received the product, however, the label said 7500 mg per capsule, and 1 capsule per day - quite a big difference! I did try clarifying the dosage with the supplier, who eventually replied as follows:

Thank you for reaching out to us. I apologize for the confusion. The information on Amazon has been updated and corrected. The information on the bottle you received is correct. The product you have is the higher dosage of Red Reishi Extract.“

If anybody can clarify any of this I would be very grateful. As things stand I am taking one capsule per day in the hope that this is about right.

Meanwhile, I too would welcome any recommendations on brands, dosage and suppliers, especially if you have had good results.

Chestnut

I use Real Mushrooms Reishi and I buy it on Amazon. Lotus mentioned this brand in another thread. I take 2 a day. One in the morning and one in the late afternoon. I like to read about nutrition, but I am no expert. I do trust this brand and I think that it works.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon