Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Hair removal

I hope I'm not the only one who looked and couldn't really find anything...

There is an old adage that my grandfather was fond of. He'd tell me, "Ya know, grass don't grow on a playground" and there are many applications of that.

For those interested, I would like to get this thread going with experiences as to what works, what doesn't, and how it feels.

I've used;

Dry shave: Removed all the hair after several minutes and left red rash type marks, hair came back quickly thicker and very scratchy

Wet shave: Removed all the hair in a couple minutes, hair came back quickly thicker

Shaving cream: removed all the hair in a minute, hair came back quickly thicker and softer, result smelled very nice

Nair: Didn't remove any hair for me, smelled horrid, left skin flushed red for hours.

Wax: Was scared to try the hot stuff

Packaged sugar wax: Went on smooth and a little warm, removed most hair, fairly painful as it stuck to the skin as well, smelled like honey, skin left soft and red for 30 minutes, hair came back in about 9 days soft and thin

Home sugar wax: Went on smooth and works well cold (pending recipe), removed most hair, minor pain as it rips hair out, smelled like honey / lime (pending recipe), skin left soft and sticky (recommend washing before AND after), hair came back in about 9 days soft and thin

Anyone have anything else they've tried? Maybe a surgery experience?

Hi Ambiguous, i am male and have been doing my NBE for 16 months with a couple of breaks and i am now living as a woman. I had problem with hair aswell but i was never really hairy, i tried normal shaving with gels and foams but its only a quick short fix, i also tried veet which is a hair removel cream and that made me sore around my nipples as its not suppose to be used there and you cannot use it on your face. So i then used wax, i used a roller wax system from clean & easy, and it was fairly good, it left me a little red for an hour or so but it removed the hair well and it took a good week to start showing again but i wanted a permenant solution so i had electrolysis done, which is painfull and fairly expensive and you have to have alot of treatments, but i am now hair free on my face and body and it was well worth the money and pain lol.
Good luck honey
Hugs Cheryl xxxx

Hi Ambiguous,

Are you sure your hair came back thicker after shaving?

It's my understanding (from my electrolysis friends) that hair CANNOT be made thicker merely by shaving it - this makes sense - how can cutting the tip influence what goes on in the follicle?

Tweezing can make it grow thicker because when you pluck the hair the tension and minor trauma of pulling on the follicle brings blood to the area, which nourishes the hair follicle and can produce a thicker hair.

It can SEEM that hair grows back thicker, because the blunt end has a "pokier" texture, but when the hair eventually falls out, and a new one takes it's place, it will be fine tipped again, and thus not so "pokey."

The exception to this tweezing thing seems to be if you are waxing hair that is already very thick and coarse, like armit, beard or groin hair, you can damage the follicle enough to where it produces a finer hair then what was there before, but still thicker than it would have been had you started off with a fine hair... does that make sense?

Anyways, don't know if your interested in all this, but thought I'd share...

Heart Paloma

Oh, and I should share that I've had my legs lasered for hair removal - one of the best things I've ever done!

Yes, it was pricey - maybe around $100 each visit, had to go back prolly 6 times (this was over 10 yrs ago, so I forget exactly)...

but my legs used to have black black coarse hair - you could even see it after I shaved, it would show through my pale skin, and just one day later it would already be sandpaper.

Sure, some hair has grown back, but it's so sporadic and light - I generally can go weeks without shaving in winter - shave once or twice a week in summer (just to keep super sleek) and what hair I do get is practically invisible.

I'd really recommend this way of doing it. I have no regrets.

hope that helps!

Yes, I'm sure it came back thicker. I used to have really fine blond hair on my chest and has turned thick and brown in just the last year so I am very certain. Pokey is less of an issue with creams and gels but anything other then that with a razor... I'm never using a straight razor off my face again either. Learned my lesson good a year ago.

I have used all of the options mentioned in the first part of this thread with similar results. Since I have been using PM I have found the hair smaller and softer so shaving works much better.

I have used them all too apart from electrolysis. Currently finishing laser on face and neck, wax back/shoulders (wife does that - good therapy for her!!:s), epilate chest and stomach, arms and legs.

Electrolysis seems to be the only permanent solution. The others (including laser which works on darker hair only) reduce hair growth/visibility/regrowth speed etc.

Epilator, laser and I understand electrolysis certainly test your commitment through pain, $$$ or both!

Laser hair removal is completely safe if carried out by a professional. During treatment, goggles are provided that filter out the laser light so there is absolutely no danger of eye damage. Whats more, its by far the quickest and most painless option.
It doesn't suit all skin or hair types, however, as laser treatment works by flash-heating the natural pigment in the hair. If the hair has no pigment or if the skin itself is pigmented then it may not be the right solution. Most clinics offer a free consultation and they should be able to advise you on whether it is right for you.

Has anyone tried a product called No No for hair removal?

One of the worst experiences of my life was on of those epillators. Omg it felt like I was on fire as it ripped my hairs out!

I found those hair removal creams have been fairly effective, and you can get nice smelling ones now. Just be careful not to leave them on longer than they recommend...I fell asleep with it on once and discovered it can give you some delicious chemical burns!

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon