Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Thread Closed

Is it true that all men have a certain amount of breast? (archive thread)

Is it true that all men have a certain amount of breast?
January 26 2007 at 8:07 AM Confused (no login)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it true that all men have a certain amount of breast? And if so why?

Author Reply
diana
(Login Diana1978)
SENIOR MEMBER i think so January 26 2007, 1:17 PM

not totally sure but i imagine all would have to have some sort of tissue. i just think it is just like everything else, it can be from one extreme to another. but when it is too much it is called gynocomastia (boy i hope i spelled it right) but that translated just means 'woman's breast'. in a small percentage of male infants, when they are first born a drop of milk can be seen 'leaking' from his nipple because of the mothers hormones passing thru the placenta affecting the baby. good luck.

Manyquestions
(Login ManyQuestions) Why indeed breasts/nipples? January 26 2007, 2:13 PM

Why do men have (small) breasts? Why do men have (small) nipples?

I have read 2 theories. Either or both could be correct.

One theory is the "leftover" theory. Since all fetuses start the same, but only 1/2 develop into females, the breasts/nipples on males are just leftovers that mother nature found it too hard to eliminate when the fetus turned out to be a male.

The other theory is that mother nature figured out how to eliminate ovaries, etc. from males, so why not breasts/nipples? There must be a reason for them to be there! And the only reason that anyone has ever come up with is a sexual one. Male nipples are not as responsive/sensitive as female nipples, but they are a sexual center.

Since I am male I like the second theory. And my quest is to increase the sexual nature of my breasts and, especially, my nipples. They are already a sexual center - if only they were as responsive as my wife's....

diana
(Login Diana1978)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Is it true that all men have a certain amount of breast? January 26 2007, 2:51 PM

i guess i am kind of partial to you first theory. but not that it is leftover. just that in male s it doesnt serve the same purpose as in females. yes fetus' start as females. but its just another body part. Smile

tittyboy
(no login) Re: Is it true that all men have a certain amount of breast? January 26 2007, 4:29 PM

Gynecomastia is only too much if you let someone tell you it is. There is no medical problem having gynecomastia, the problem is social. All men have breast tissue and the only difference is how much is grows. As there are many women with virtually non existent breast growth I think the difference really is not so great as we have been told. My pituitary gland problem gave me rather large breasts. The fact that I always wanted breasts is a plus. They sure have grown sensitive these last few months and actually seem have connected to the erogenous network of my body. So I think my answer to your question, though purely anecdotal is, Yes.

Manyquestions
(Login ManyQuestions) Why do men have breasts and nipples January 26 2007, 5:19 PM

The "leftover" explanation is my very crude and non-scientific attempt to apply the "spandrel" explanation of evolution to this area. Steven Jay Gould says (if my memory is correct) that some traits are desirable from an evolutionary perspective, but that in order to get them, certain other accommodations must be made. By analogy, if humans want to construct an arch, there usually will be an accompanying spandrel - the space between the right or left curve of the arch and enclosing right angle doorway or other structure. We don't particularly have any use for those triangle-spaced areas, but we have to have them if we want to have an arch. Applying this notion to the breast/nipple issue, we want females to have them, so their appearance in males is just a spandrel.

Vicky A
(Login VickyA) Re: Is it true that all men have a certain amount of breast? January 26 2007, 9:39 PM

I believe the correct explanation is that nipples and breast tissue develop very early in the foetus, before the sex characteristics begin to develop. Therefore a baby boy is born with nipples, because he only started to develop into a boy and develop male characteristics some time after the nipples were formed.

diana
(Login Diana1978)
SENIOR MEMBER just for the record January 26 2007, 10:36 PM

nipples are visible between 44-46 days old in a fetus.
Thread Closed

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon