Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Thread Closed

Stinging nettle (archive thread)

Stinging nettle
August 23 2007 at 2:45 AM Anon (no login)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On one of our threads, we loosely touched on allergies. Is stinging nettle good for NBE??

Author Reply
Davilee
(Login Davi-lee) S.Nettle comparisons with other herbs... August 23 2007, 8:17 AM

As to its chemical profile,the only thing it shares with opther known anti-androgenic herbs is Beta carotene and Ferulic acid.[In saw palmetto]

I just found that it shares many chemical constituents with Marshmallow (Althaea officinalis),and marshmallow is known in pharmacognosy for its phytoestrogenic properties.

Here's the chems they share::
>Beta carotene
>Betaine
>Caffeic acid
>Ferulic acid
>p-coumaric acid
>Scopoletin

And S.Nettle also has Lycopene and Lecithin.Those are the only two chems that S.Nettles and Marshmallow DON'T share.

I hope this was helpful. I will post anything else that I find...its just tedious searching books....but I enjoy it very much.

Louise
(no login) Re: Stinging nettle August 23 2007, 11:23 AM

Nettle root is supposed to be anti andrgogenic but it's the dried leaf that's used for allergies so make sure you know what you're getting.

Davilee
(Login Davi-lee) Leaf...or ..root.... August 23 2007, 7:45 PM

Yeah,and theres nettle ROOT also.....
I read it mentioned over yonder,some women said that they use the root (?)
Im looking into that....
Do you know anything about that Louise?..The differences?

Edit Message Delete Message

Louise
(no login) Re: Stinging nettle August 23 2007, 8:36 PM

Don't know why one bit does one thing and the other bit does something else but quite a few of us on the main forum who didn't fancy saw palmetto due to weight gain / cellulite risk bought nettle caps only to find out we'd got the leaf not the root (if you open them it's a dark green powder). Don't think the leaf has any use for nbe but if anyone wants any I've got one bottle with about 4 caps missing and one sealed full bottle, I'm in UK so if anyone wants me to send them I'd only charge for postage as they're no good to me.

Edit Message Delete Message

Cyclops
(no login) Re: Stinging nettle August 23 2007, 8:51 PM

Davilee, what is your chemical profile of, the leaves, the root, the seeds or what?

Davilee
(Login Davi-lee) Re: Stinging nettle August 23 2007, 11:23 PM

Hiya Cyclops,...the book says its considering all three.
So,I need to find out what part has the most of which constituents,I guess.
Im still looking for a site like the one for spices,i found.

I assume that then all parts have the same chem's just different amounts.
But,I noticed that the women were taking it for its anti-androgen properties,not for breast development,...well,not in a direct sense anyway.
----Davilee
Thread Closed

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon