Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Thread Closed

could this work for men too? (archive thread)

could this work for men too?
May 17 2007 at 2:07 AM
stefanie (Login stefanie_ss)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spearmint Tea: Possible Treatment For Mild Hirsutism
Science Daily — Women with hirsutism grow hair on their faces, breasts and stomachs. This can cause great distress. The hair grows because they have abnormally high levels of the 'masculinising' androgen hormones. Androgens travel around the body in the blood stream, and a key way of treating hirsutism is to reduce the level of these androgens.

Data just published in Phytotherapy Research shows that drinking two cups of spearmint tea a day for five days could reduce the level of androgens in women with hirsutism.

"Current therapies use either oral contraceptives to suppress androgen production, or medications such as spironolactone that prevent the body responding to androgen -- but this study shows that spearmint could be a good natural alternative for women who have mild symptoms," says researcher Mehmet Numan Tamer who acts as spokesperson for the research team. The research was carried out at the Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta, Turkey.

In the trials the herbal tea was made by pouring a cup (250ml) of boiling water over 1 heaped teaspoon (5g) of dried leaves, and leaving it for 5 to 10 mins.

The team decided to study the effects of spearmint on hirsutism because of previous reports that extracts of the spearmint plant (Mentha spicata Labiatae) could reduce libido in men. A possible reason for this reduced libido could have been that spearmint was reducing their androgen level. Other research had shown that these extracts reduced androgen levels in rats.

"We now need to do further studies to test the reliability of this finding, and to see the extent to which the reduced androgens do help women with mild hirsutism," says Professor Tamer.

Author Reply

Moonstruck
(Login moonstruck61) Re: could this work for men too? May 17 2007, 2:20 AM

Awesome find!

I WILL be trying this out ASAP... Tomorrow I have to get groceries and I WILL be looking for some spearmint tea.
I think I may plant some spearmint around the yard so I can have the real stuff without chemicals added (you never know what they do to it before you get it)

Perhaps it's sold in capsules? Or as dried leaves in bulk?

Yep, I'm going to definitely try this. This nasty body hair MUST go, it's so vulgar, so disgusting.
It's like being covered with bunghole hair. YUK.....

----------------------
I'll be frank with you. I would rather be Jane, but for now, I'll be frank... ;-)

Ta Ta's! ( . )( . )

Edit Message Delete Message

Fennel
(no login) Re: could this work for men too? May 17 2007, 9:18 AM

I hope it works!

Moonstruck
(Login moonstruck61) Re: could this work for men too? May 19 2007, 1:23 AM

Over the past few days since this was first brought up I've been on a Spearmint Quest.
It's not to be found anywhere. I went to several stores and could not find one single item containing Spearmint.
Tried another store and only found Spearmint Altoids (which I love!), it says on the tin that it's real spearmint.
I found a *few* other candies that contained artificial spearmint flavoring.. Sad

I went to Walmart and found some Mint Tea which claims to be a blend of Peppermint and Spearmint.
It was a small box I think it's a dozen tea bags and was almost $4.00 Pffffft...... Too much.
But I bought some anyway just to try it.

However, I went online and I found via ebay a few people selling real spearmint.
So I ordered two lbs. of dried spearmint leaves. The seller even had instructions on the auction page telling how to make tea with it. They promise it to be pure and high quality and the seller had a lot of positive feedback comments so I ordered some.

I'm excited to get on board with this because it seems there must be something to it.
Just go to your favorite search engine and put in "Spearmint + androgen" (without the quotes) and you'll find a LOT of chatter about it. It will be really nice to put a stop to those nasty male hormones and have that horrid body hair fade away into oblivion. Yuk!

----------------------
I'll be frank with you. I would rather be Jane, but for now, I'll be frank... ;-)

Ta Ta's! ( . )( . )

Moonstruck
(Login moonstruck61) Re: could this work for men too? May 30 2007, 8:08 PM

Well, I just got my two pounds of spearmint tea in yesterday.
My house REEKS of it. I'll bet the delivery truck does too.
When I opened to bags (inside the box) it kind of freaked me out because it sort of looks like marijuana (sp?) !!

Well, any dummy only needs to catch a whiff of the stuff to know otherwise. This stuff is STRONG....
Well, I can't figure out a way to make tea without getting grounds all in the cup. Ok, you Brits, go ahead and laugh
at me, dumb Yank doesn't know how to make tea. Hahaha.. Ok, feel better now??

So I went to the store and bought this little metal thing, it looks like an egg with holes and a chain.
You unscrew it, fill it then dunk it in your cup. Well, I tried that and it was a failure. Big mess, grounds all in my cup.

So, I decided to try it in my espresso machine. WOW! Talk about stout! I think I put too much tea in the machine.
I'll try again tonight with half the tea. I also cut out some coffee filters into little discs and put in the espresso thing
so no grounds can get through. Works great.

I also put a spoon of it in my coffee pot so now I have spearmint flavored coffee. It's rather odd tasting but hey, I'm getting the spearmint into my system.

I'm in this one for the long haul, having two pounds of the stuff. It fills FOUR of those jumbo coffee cans. If I use 2-3 teaspoons of it per day it ought to last me a LONG time...

After a few weeks of this I'll let you know what I think.

Blu-Jay
(Login Blu-Jay) Re: could this work for men too? May 30 2007, 8:30 PM

Glad to here you got your tea.If that was 2Lbs of pot, do you have any idea what that would be worth out on the streets? Geez. :-D

I'm not a Brit. but I know a bit about herbal teas. The best way to have it is to put the herb into a cup/mug and let it steep for about 5-7 minutes. That way you'll get the most out of the medicinal properties in it. After your wait of 5-7 minutes, strain it add a teaspoon of pure honey to it and enjoy.
Hope this helps!

Blu-Jay :-)

Moonstruck
(Login moonstruck61) Re: could this work for men too? May 30 2007, 9:26 PM

Not a clue on earth. I can tell you one thing, if it was dope, it sure as hell wouldn't be in MY house!

Blu-Jay
(Login Blu-Jay) Spearmint Tea May 30 2007, 9:56 PM

I don't know what the value of that much pot would be this day and age but I know what it cost back in the late 70s when I used to smoke. It cost anywhere between $65 and a $100 per ounce.
Anyways,Another way you could have your tea,is to make a pot full,strain it,sweeten it with your favorite sweetener,let it cool and add some ice to it. Drink it as a cold beverage for thirst. I drink some of my herbal tea that way. It's good and refreshing. You can also add some lemon or lime to it, just for a change of taste. Smile

Blu-Jay

Fennel
(no login) Re: could this work for men too? May 31 2007, 6:19 AM

Yes it would taste great as a cold drink. Make Ice Tea with it and keep a jug in the fridge. Add sliced lemon and ice cubes and sip away...

Moonstruck
(Login moonstruck61) Re: could this work for men too? May 31 2007, 7:46 AM

Thank you, I think I will try that.
I used to like to drink ice tea but a few years ago something happened that sort of turned me off to it.
I need to get over that and go back to it again. I could just sit around and sip those nasty old hairs away!

Blu-Jay
(no login) Re: could this work for men too? May 31 2007, 8:18 AM

Homemade ice tea is much much more pleasent to drink than store bought. With the already made ice tea, you have to take it as it comes.Making your own, you can flavor and sweeten it as you like and it's cheaper than the mixes or ready made stuff. There are a few herbs that make very good ice teas. To name a couple, peppermint,ginger,greentea and even nettle with some added flavors and honey can be a good ice tea. Smile

Blu-Jay
Thread Closed

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon