Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Issues with Maca

I posted this on my program page but thought I could get better responses here.

I started on Maca Root capsules a few days ago and have noticed a constant stomach upset. I'm wondering if Maca just doesn't agree with me, or if perhaps it is my particular brand or just the batch.

I ask this because it really stinks (and I do mean *really*). I can't even open the jar unless I hold my breath or I feel like heaving. The stink is there even though the Maca is in capsule form. The label says that Maca "has an aroma similar to butterscotch". This is no "butterscotch" I've ever smelled before.

So, is the stench normal? I suppose the batch could be bad or perhaps spoiled, but the expiration date on the jar is 9/15.

Can anyone else out there taking Maca tell me about their experiences?

Thanks...

Misty

I have recently bought Maca. Haven't taken any yet, but i opened my bottle of pills to smell and....

It does kind of smell like butterscotch. No stink, smells kinda nice.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Sad

(12-01-2013, 09:20 PM)SarahSchilling Wrote:  I have recently bought Maca. Haven't taken any yet, but i opened my bottle of pills to smell and....

It does kind of smell like butterscotch. No stink, smells kinda nice.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Sad

Can you tell me which brand you bought?

Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Maca-500mg-Capsules/dp/B001DAYJOY?ie=UTF8&tag=snacking-20&link_code=btl&camp=213689&creative=392969

I loooove maca.
It does smell funny but not like bad butterscotch. Doesnt even small strong or bad to me. HtH.

Yeah, it's a pretty faint odor. Maybe I just thought it smelled good because after reading this thread, I was expecting it to stink like SP lol

I get Maca powder from a UK health food store, and it does smell like butterscotch/maple syrup. Before that I bought a different brand of capsules which smelled the same. If yours is radically different, I'd go for a refund.

B.

I paid $6 on Amazon (I have Prime so there's no shipping), hence it's not a big loss if I pitch them. I just want to make sure I get a good brand the next time around. I can get the one's Sarah recommends on Amazon, also Prime.

Does anyone have any experience with the NOW brand?

(12-01-2013, 11:40 PM)SarahSchilling Wrote:  Yeah, it's a pretty faint odor. Maybe I just thought it smelled good because after reading this thread, I was expecting it to stink like SP lol

I remember the first time I smelled SP. It made me wonder whether if I would be able to follow through with NBE when a herb like SP stunk like it did. Fortunately I became accustomed to the smell over time.

(13-01-2013, 01:06 AM)Misty0732 Wrote:  Does anyone have any experience with the NOW brand?

I've been taking NOW's PABA for some time now. I haven't had any problems with it as of yet.

http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-PABA-500mg-CAPS/dp/B00028LV9E/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1358038165&sr=1-1&keywords=now+paba

Oh shoot i forgot.
When i first started taking, i should have begun with a lower dose. I got bad abdomen pain in my ovary area. But no biggie. When I reduced the dose then spread the dose throughout the day the pain subsided and the effects lovely. Ive no experience with Now. Mr maca organic is my fave.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon