Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Blood tests for hormone levels

(09-01-2013, 12:43 AM)PattiJT Wrote:  Along that same line, I have to say it seems a little strange to me that a retired Air Force full bull, currently as highly placed in the civilian workplace as yourself, finds the $159 charge for such comprehensive testing to be too expensive. That's an easy way to go, and actually a paltry amount to pay. Not trying to offend you, just seems a bit odd to me.

Good points, and believe me I can afford the tests. The issue isn't can I afford it, it's just do I need to spend the $159 needlessly. Also, since my wife handles all the finances, she'll want to know why I choose that route over the insurance. She's not completely on-board with the feminization (although she does like being the decision-maker for the household), and I don't want to raise any alarms with her.

Also, my retirement is a reserve retirement (10 years active and 20 reserve) so I don't start collecting any retirement pay for a few years yet. Life will be REALLY good when that starts, but I don't like to wish the years away! Tongue

(09-01-2013, 01:37 AM)tibetan113 Wrote:  I agree. Its not expensive. It works. I have used them and posted the link on the forums here to let others know because every where else is far more and you get less testing. All in all, you'll figure it out.

Good to know that it works. They'll be my back-up if I have any issues through my doctor. Thanks!

(09-01-2013, 12:43 AM)PattiJT Wrote:  Be aware that depending on your company, some companies get reports on the different medical services their employees are receiving. Since you're retired military, are you using company insurance, or Tricare through the military. I've found Tricare quite unsuspecting when it comes to providing whatever tests your doctor asks for.

Patti,

Thanks for the insurance advice. I won't be eligible for Tricare until I turn 60 (if its still even around then). My insurance is BCBS, and is quite good, and I'm not worried about any reports going to my employer. That would require a HIPAA release and I have never executed such a document.

Your comments suggest you are also retired military (not too many non-military people refer to colonels as "full bulls", and you appear to be familiar with Tricare). If so, thank you for your service!

I enjoyed reading your bio. Perhaps someday my wife will be as understanding. I could write a book on our relationship and how we got where we are... it's very strong but she isn't ready to see her husband become a "wife". Can you share some insight on how your wife came to accept your journey? This is my biggest obstacle to fully accepting myself.

Thanks again, for your service and for your advice!

Misty

(08-01-2013, 06:51 PM)AbiDrew85 Wrote:  Well, if you can afford it, you CAN just leave the doctors out of it:

http://zionpharmacy.com/hormone-saliva-testing/

Another option, though more expensive, is this:

http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements/ItemLC100010/Male-Comprehensive-Hormone-Panel-Blood-Test.html?source=search&key=blood%20testing

I've been to two nurse practitioners and one doctor, partly because I thought I have low T. One NP wanted saliva testing that my insurance won't cover. The other NP said saliva is inaccurate and wanted blood tests, but refused to order estradiol or SHBG. The doctor wouldn't even consider checking T. It took me months to get him to order it, then he insisted everything was fine because the range for free T is 5-50, and I was at 10.

So, there you have it. Saliva and blood are either highly accurate or horribly inaccurate depending on the medical professional you're seeing.

I've kind of given up on trying to figure it all out and decided to grow boobies.

Hmmm, I tend to trust blood tests, done competently. Quite a few people alive today because they got them, and lots of them dead because they didn't. On the other hand, if a saliva test, done competently, is good enough to put sundry criminals away for the rest of their natural-born lives, I'm a fan!! Bring em on!

As a side question, I'm curious about your comment on free T level numbers. I've had a few done by my doctor, and when she gave me the 3 pages of result sheets, the recommended level for adult males was between 241-827 ng/dl. With mine bouncing between <20-30, it has been an issue I've been trying to unscrew as to exactly how to handle.

Incidentally that range I gave, was for total T. If you only got results for free T, Are you getting the test you need? I'm only guessing here, but I would think a total T test would be simpler to perform, and maybe a more applicable measurement for your needs. My doctor didn't ever mention testing for total T. Maybe it was because my symptom was being tired and run-down, and your is something else? Patti

Misty,

As to your question about how and why my wife accepts what I am, it would be best if I start a separate thread on this in a day or so. Instead of you and I starting a conversation that I can see immensely hijacking this thread, and since I (hopefully) expect a variety a contributions that will give you many more perspectives than just mine, that seems to be the best way, to me. Take care, Patti

(09-01-2013, 08:09 AM)PattiJT Wrote:  Hmmm, I tend to trust blood tests, done competently. Quite a few people alive today because they got them, and lots of them dead because they didn't. On the other hand, if a saliva test, done competently, is good enough to put sundry criminals away for the rest of their natural-born lives, I'm a fan!! Bring em on!

As a side question, I'm curious about your comment on free T level numbers. I've had a few done by my doctor, and when she gave me the 3 pages of result sheets, the recommended level for adult males was between 241-827 ng/dl. With mine bouncing between <20-30, it has been an issue I've been trying to unscrew as to exactly how to handle.

Incidentally that range I gave, was for total T. If you only got results for free T, Are you getting the test you need? I'm only guessing here, but I would think a total T test would be simpler to perform, and maybe a more applicable measurement for your needs. My doctor didn't ever mention testing for total T. Maybe it was because my symptom was being tired and run-down, and your is something else? Patti
Sorry. I should have been more specific. My free T was 10. My total T was under 500, I no longer remember any more. It may have been under 400. Regardless, it was still within the very wide normal range. That was six months ago, and I've been preoccupied with eye issues the past several months like the hemorrhage in my left eye that just began a few minutes ago while I am typing this. I just had a vitrectomy, epiretinal membrane peel, and 1800 laser burns on December 20. I shouldn't be bleeding.

I tend to focus on the free T because the articles I keep reading say good youthful free T level should be 20-25 which usually puts the total T around 800-1000. Such a T level is also supposed to assist in blood sugar control.

My issues are diabetes, lack of libido, ED, obesity, fatigue, low thyroid and probably a few other things. Despite the recommendation from the Endocrine Society that all diabetic males, especially the overweight ones, should be tested for low T, I had to fight with my doctor for several months to get him to check. I achieved pretty tight control over the diabetes and still felt like crap as the weight started piling on. He saw the weight gain as progress because my body was now using carbs. I asked when I was supposed to start feeling better. He said I already should. I didn't and don't.

The same doctor couldn't understand why I still had the outer third of my eyebrows with a TSH of 33 and acted as if the blood tests were lying. I've had low thyroid symptoms since I was a teen, but nobody has ever listened, and my TSH was always below 5 which is the high end of normal. Some docs begin to suspect when it is over 2 and symptoms are present. My doc keeps jacking my dose around based on TSH. All I know is my basal temperature is still below normal, and I'm tired. I'm so disgusted with the doctors I've encountered around here that I'm about to just stop going, let my prescriptions lapse and let nature take its course. I feel like little more than a revenue stream. I can't really afford the time investment and expense of going a few hundred miles to Seattle or Portland where I could maybe find a decent doctor at a university.

Incidentally, I've begun to wonder if what I thought to be low T might not be related to dopamine since a lot of those issues occurred during the 18 months I took Effexor and have persisted for more than six years since stopping the medication.

I would be really concerned about your T levels, though it sounds like you kind of want it that low. I'd want to know why my testes had shut down.

First, to Misty. Yes. 21 years active Army. Retired E-8, 1SG. 8 years of it at Ft Carson, in your territory. Forgive me if I don't utter that insipid cattle call so many are fond of. Never bought into that. And thank you for your service as well. Tri-care is a pretty good deal. I'm guessing (it's been a while) that you'll be eligible to draw retirement at 60? You should qualify for tricare then, I think. Depending on if you're working, and what your cost is thru your company, you really should consider it. I mean, where are you going to get such comprehensive coverage for (sorry to piss a bunch of people off) $568 per year? That's family rate, no matter how many in the family. Used to be $460 for forever, but went up this year. About the only benefit left that's worth a damn. The only bad thing, when you turn 65, you will have to go on medicare, and tricare will be the backup. Tricare then becomes free, but will you ever use it when on medicare? Enough of that, I'm probably boring a lot of people.

Monika, you listed so many maladies, that I now have one, a headache. Makes me feel ever so lucky that my major recurring issue is kidney stones. Passed #47 a couple days ago. I have a little bottle full of them. don't ask me why I keep them. Probably an attachment/reminder of pain and suffering thing. I have absolutely no real help to offer you regarding your medical problems, but admit to learning something when I saw the TSH/eyebrow relationship mentioned. I was not aware of that. When I got the results of my first blood tests, my doctor mentioned something about her thinking it looked like my thyroid was shutting down. But subsequent tests showed that not to be the case. Will be watching that. I had a vasectomy around 1990. I was single, with custody of 3 kids, and took the opportunity. Lord knows I didn't need any more. After that, orgasm resulted in the regular amount of discharge, just without the little critters. It was just since I started using Finpecia as part of my "booby/feminization" exercise, that my testes quickly went on the downswing. So, when I had my first blood test that resulted in such a low reading, I'd already been hammering the little fellas for a while. Yes, I WASN'T at all concerned. Then. That may be changing. Hell of a lot of things dropped into my lap the last few months, a couple big ones since New Years. I may hit the patches she gave me, at least for a bit, just to get through helping handle other peoples problems. I have become so emotional that certain movies, songs that bring back memories, etc., bring an almost embarrassing river of tears. Took my wife a fair time to get use to that. Geez, I watched an ABBA show the other night, and even that did it!!

At the levels I was at, who knows, maybe the little guys are practically "gone". I do know that they are well under half the size they used to be. Don't get me wrong. I really ebjoy the fact that it feels so good to snuggle on the couch, under the covers, and just walk holding hands. And my wife loves it too. I may try adding in the T just until these situations get resolved, as I know when I stop using it, things will probably revert.

I urge you not to give up. If you can't travel to find a better, more knowledgeable, and concerned doctor, reach out to some med sites on-line. Hopefully someone will help, or know of someone who can. Incidentally, one of those problems I mentioned is my 40 year old daughter. She'd been having a few minor marital problems. Married 20+ years. The marital problems were brought on by a bunch of medical issues that caused tensions. 2 days before New Years, she tried to end it all. Not successful, fortunately, but while she was in the hospital, her husband came in and told her he was filing for divorce. Needless to say, huge problem. Long story. So, don't go there, OK? Take care, Patti

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon