Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Pro Hormones

(14-01-2014, 09:27 PM)Lotus~Aphrodité Wrote:  ...I was brave enough to try Hops as a tea, which btw ended badly. Rolleyes

I haven't tried hops yet myself, although I understand that the taste is rather bitter.

I wonder which hops type, bittering or aroma, would work better for NBE? And which variety?

For info on hops types and other info see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hops

Medicinal section:

clip...
Hops are of interest for hormone replacement therapy,...
...end clip

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hormone_re...nt_therapy

BigDave

Thanks Big D,

What do you think about- D Aspartic-acid? -DAA

Testosterone being converted to 17ß Estradiol

In animal studies (boar, lizard), D-Aspartic Acid was shown to increase gonadal (testes, ovary) aromatase activity which is an enzyme responsible for the conversion of testosterone to 17ß Estradiol (an estrogen).
Whether this aromatase activity is increased in humans is uncertain. However, in Western obesogenic societies where abdominal fat is a major concern in countless millions of individuals, we know this deep visceral fat is very active tissue and we also know this active fatty tissue has significant aromatase activity.
Increased testosterone levels induced in overweight individuals by D-Aspartic Acid, will indeed drive the conversion of testosterone to estrogen in this abdominal fat store thus increasing 17ß Estradiol.

http://www.nutridesk.com.au/d_aspartic_a...e-21.phtml
http://www.biology.arizona.edu/biochemis...rtate.html

Concerning the effect of D-Asp on the induction of testosterone release, after 12 days of D-Asp treatment, the levels of testosterone in the serum of the participants were significantly increased compared with basal levels. Out of 23 participants, 20 had increased testosterone. From a mean of 4.5 ± 0.6 ng/ml serum at zero time, it rose to 6.4 ± 0.8 ng/ml, a 42% increase (Table 1). Statistical analyses indicated a significant effect [ANOVA with repeated measures: treatment effect: F(1,82) = 7.724, p < 0.0082] and a significant interaction between treatment and days [F(2,82) = 32.599; P < 0.0001]. As with LH, so also with testosterone, the effect of D-aspartate was time dependent. When subjects were treated with sodium-D-aspartate for only 6 days, testosterone was found of 1.15-fold higher than basal levels, but this increase was not statistically significant (Table 1). Interestingly 3 days after the suspension of D-Asp treatment, testosterone was still increased 1.22-fold compared with the basal levels (5.8 ± 0.6 ng/ml against 4.5 ± 0.6 ng/ml).

Just a reminder for all what pro-hormones can do!

Supplements such as androstenedione and others are termed "prohormones" because they serve as direct precursors for testosterone synthesis in the body. However, a less publicized effect of such supplements is their tendency to also be converted into estrogen.

Normally most of the circulating testosterone in the blood plasma are bound to liver-produced proteins, such as sex-hormone binding globulin (SHBG) and to a lesser and weaker extent, albumin. But only the free or unbound testosterone (about 2% of the total amount in plasma) in active in the sense that it can interact with cellular androgen receptors.

When prohormone supplements are converted into testosterone by various enzymes in the liver and other tissues, they circulate in the blood as free and bound testosterone. As such, they are subject to conversion to estrogen whenever the enzyme aromatase is encountered. As the estrogen levels rise from this conversion, the testosterone/estrogen ratio (T/E ratio) tips toward estrogen. When that happens, several negative events related to higher body estrogen levels in men begin to occur. These estrogen-related effects include possible gynecomastia or male breast development. This is commonly seen in many athletes who use anabolic steroid drugs capable of being aromatized, such as testosterone injections.

Another possibility is benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) or prostate gland enlargement. Research shows that BPH results from a combined effect of a testosterone byproduct called dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and estrogen (0). Estrogen metabolites offer protective effects for women against cardiovascular disease onset presumably through the antioxidant activities of the 2-hydroxy metabolites.

Please read the full article:
http://www11.netrition.com/estrogen_factor_page.html

I hadn't heard of DAA, it looks interesting though. The articles, and other articles on their respective sites, also point out other things to watch out for, foods to avoid/cut back on, other foods and supplements to add.

It's all a balancing act. How do we maximize the effects we want, while minimizing the effects that we don't? Breast growth and feminization vs heart attacks, stroke, cancer and BPH, etc. Must dig deeper.

BigDave

(14-01-2014, 09:15 AM)s67bigdave Wrote:  Dandelion can be eaten as a vegetable. Just do so before it flowers, it becomes quite bitter then, actually dandelions can be bitter at any time. Roots can be dried, roasted and ground to make a coffee substitute.

Hops are a natural sedative.

BigDave

Well now I have more use for that wonderful weed in my yard. Also recently read you can eat the leaves, as they have many great benefits (sorry, no specific links, just Google it).

As for the hops, that would explain why I'm sleepy after a few super hoppy IPA's!

DAA is not new to this forum. It has been discussed, tried, and reported on in the past. Like a lot of those studies you are finding, they are simply hints and statistical observations, and usually not very well suited to our goals. As a group we seem to regularly make all sorts of logical leaps off the ends of those reports and studies.

Where do you think I got the info from?, that's right, here!, and the question was directed towards Big Dave. I think I'm asking questions that anybody can ask whether it's logical or not, even with statistical data, reports, links or otherwise.

I'm not an expert, never claimed to be, but if we don't ask the questions how can we improve?. Last I checked it was free to ask questions and talk about anything within reason. I'm not the first to ask these questions or make hints.

(02-08-2011, 04:55 PM)sfem Wrote:  As a group we seem to regularly make all sorts of logical leaps off the ends of those reports and studies.

I certainly hope so!, without those logical leaps would anything ever get advanced in modern society. I'd like to see and discuss the data so I can make a more informed decision.

As it relates to reporting what scientists and experts say about their research info to our "group", wouldn't you rather have that then word of mouth/3rd party here-say.

I do however appreciate your feedback!

(17-01-2014, 10:23 PM)Lotus~Aphrodité Wrote:  Where do you think I got the info from?, that's right, here!, and the question was directed towards Big Dave. I think I'm asking questions that anybody can ask whether it's logical or not, even with statistical data, reports, links or otherwise.

I'm not an expert, never claimed to be, but if we don't ask the questions how can we improve?. Last I checked it was free to ask questions and talk about anything within reason. I'm not the first to ask these questions or make hints.

(02-08-2011, 04:55 PM)sfem Wrote:  As a group we seem to regularly make all sorts of logical leaps off the ends of those reports and studies.

I certainly hope so!, without those logical leaps would anything ever get advanced in modern society. I'd like to see and discuss the data so I can make a more informed decision.

As it relates to reporting what scientists and experts say about their research info to our "group", wouldn't you rather have that then word of mouth/3rd party here-say.

I do however appreciate your feedback!

Lotus your posting are very intresting And certainly raise questions . An open mind is a lerning mind . Closed minds are neandathals .

(16-01-2014, 08:09 PM)Scotti Wrote:  
(14-01-2014, 09:15 AM)s67bigdave Wrote:  Dandelion can be eaten as a vegetable. Just do so before it flowers, it becomes quite bitter then, actually dandelions can be bitter at any time. Roots can be dried, roasted and ground to make a coffee substitute.

Hops are a natural sedative.

BigDave

Well now I have more use for that wonderful weed in my yard. Also recently read you can eat the leaves, as they have many great benefits (sorry, no specific links, just Google it).

I have two MONSTER dandelions in my front yard, you want `em? Probably 20" across.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon