Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Shaved Legs

(14-02-2014, 07:09 PM)SarahSchilling Wrote:  
(14-02-2014, 04:14 PM)Samantha Rogers Wrote:  
(14-02-2014, 03:52 PM)SarahSchilling Wrote:  LOL...I will?

Anyways last time I shaved 2 days before the treatment, so the laser nurse could see the hairs. Did the same thing this time....but they really haven't shown up as well outside of the upper lip and chin. Seem to be growing much slower.

Oh well, I guess that's a good thing lol

I would think so. I know it stings some and I think you said it got red afterward...? Is there any kind of lotion you can use to help that?

She gave me some, but of course I didn't care for the ingredient list lmao...Everything is poison.

The redness only lasts a few hours though, and the soreness about 12 hrs. I'll be fine. It's not bad.

And Clara, if you knew me you'd have nothing to be jealous of. I'm something of a lonely, depressed wreck at points lol

Agreed, it's their loss anyway!

-A

Neither Pygeum nor Spearmint is the cause of the redness and severe itching that has accompanied my attempts to remove body hair from my thighs, chest, stomach, upper arms, and arm pits. Recall that I have been using an epilator for this purpose. I can say with certainty, that the reason for the itching is the existence of many in-grown hairs. The severity of the condition depends on where the epilation is performed. The backs of both thighs produce the most in-grown hairs and the worst case of red pimples and on-again/off-again itching. For some reason the itching happens mainly in the evening. I found that icing the skin is the only way to get relief.

I've been using my Tria 4X laser hair removal on my right thigh after shaving with an electric razor. The amount of redness and itching is much less. It could be that what in-grown hairs I'm still getting on the right thigh are due to earlier epilating.

Epilating doesn't appear to cause in-grown hairs on my belly area, so I think I can continue to use it there.

Shaving with a multi-blade razor also causes in-growns for me. Susceptibility to in-growns is largely genetic, I've read.

For me, the laser seems to do away with body hair much more effectively than epilating, anyway. My understanding is that the laser will damage the hair root (papilla) to the point that it may not be able to grow a new hair shaft. That's also the way electrolysis works.

If anyone is considering ways to reduce body hair, please consider the potential for producing in-grown hairs. Experiment on a small section of your body with a blade razor, electric razor, epilator, depilatory, or laser to test the reaction before going whole hog.

In-grown hairs are more likely to happen using a multi-blade razor or epilator than other methods. A multi-blade razor cuts a sharp edge to the hair below the skin's surface. An epilator will also create a sharp edge on hairs which break off below the skin's surface. These hairs will tend to embed themselves in the skin, especially if your hair is curly or the follicle is sharply angled to the skin's surface.

You can minimize the occurrence of in-grown hairs by exfoliating your skin whenever bathing or showering. I use a mitt and body wash. I scrub the skin rather aggressively until it turns a reddish pink. The idea is to remove the layer of dead skin cells which tend to cover the follicle opening and prevent the growing hair from emerging above the skin.

Some have found that epilating over and over will eventually discourage or even stop the growth of body hair. I have not experienced this myself. If it works, it's an inexpensive way to reduce body hair compared to laser or electrolysis.

Keep in mind, however, that there is no guaranteed way to rid the body of hair, even with electrolysis, unless you drastically reduce the DHT level in your body. The skin will develop new hair follicles given time. Transsexuals who are under HRT treatment or after SRS, will have body hair patterns similar to genetic women because their bodies will have only minute amounts of DHT.

I hope to reduce body hair growth by lowering my DHT with anti-androgen herbals. Saw Palmetto and Pygeum are anti-androgens that will reduce the conversion of testosterone to DHT. Spearmint will also reduce DHT indirectly by lowering free testosterone. Reducing DHT can also have the effect of stopping, even reversing, male pattern baldness.

I hope this helps those of you struggling with body hair issues like I am. Even with a nice pair of breasts, it's hard to look feminine with dense, dark body hair. LOL.

Clara Kay Smile

I used to get ingrown hairs like crazy when I first started shaving but now, for some reason unknown to me, I don't. During the time I did, I found the following product and ALMOST bought some. It had great reviews at that time but I see they're down a little now. I just thought I'd post this for those who might find it useful. I can't say anything good or bad about it other than I was convinced at one time that it could help me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001I8MJ2K/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the tip Kari Leigh. Another member of this forum sent along a suggestion to try Tend Skin. It's an exfoliant that treats in-grown hairs. I noticed it got a 4-1/2 star rating from nearly 800 reviews on Amazon. That makes me want to invest the $18.33 (Prime) for 8 oz. and give it a try. Thanks, MichelleM! You're my special sweetheart.

Clara Smile

Hey Ladies! Sorry I have been away, I was in SCCM training all week and I have a lot going on in my personal life (great things thanks to my very understanding and accommodating wife! Big Grin)

Anyway, I epilated my chest and stomach and have very few ingrown hairs, bumps, or itching afterwords. I must admit that is is very painful in most areas but these two are not too bad. I have found that once your at it for awhile, the pain subsides a bit.

I look forward to the decrease in stubble!

-A

I wish I could say that in-grown hairs are not a problem for me, but they are. Fortunately, I don't get the bad infections that some people do when a hair gets trapped under the skin. The follicle does get red, though, and will itch quite a bit. I've ruled out Spearmint and Pygeum as the cause of itching. It is primarily due to the in-grown hairs, and secondarily to the general drying out of my skin which is one of the bad side effects of PM as it drives down one's T-levels.

I've been able minimize the ingrown hairs and red skin irritation with a product called "Tend Skin". I wipe it on after shaving, epilating or lasering and then twice a day until any redness goes away. I've also found that Cortizone 10 ointment is great for itching. When I get an itching sensation, I apply the ointment and within 5 minutes the itching is gone.

It's too soon to give a full review of the Tria 4X, but I do like it so far. I've been using it on my right thigh, and epilating the left. To say the epilator is fast compared to the laser is a gross understatement. The advantage of the laser is fewer in-growns, and a much longer time needed between treatments. It does take a long time to treat a large area with the laser though. I get about 500 level-5 laser pulses to a charge. That covers an area of only about 20 sq. in. Few will have the patience to use the laser on their entire body. I do a section each day to eventually get large areas covered. The pain is not that bad, but everyone has a different sensitivity to pain, so my opinion doesn't mean much. My wife is much more sensitive to the burning sensation that you feel for a second with each discharge.

I'll report more conclusions later.

Clara Smile

(22-02-2014, 08:54 PM)AmandaBust Wrote:  Hey Ladies! Sorry I have been away, I was in SCCM training all week and I have a lot going on in my personal life (great things thanks to my very understanding and accommodating wife! Big Grin)

Anyway, I epilated my chest and stomach and have very few ingrown hairs, bumps, or itching afterwords. I must admit that is is very painful in most areas but these two are not too bad. I have found that once your at it for awhile, the pain subsides a bit.

-A
I have also found that regular use of an epilator, along with really low T levels, has really reduced the hair growth on legs, arms, and chest (not that I had a lot to begin with...lol) the hair that used to create a "french" line down the center of my tummy is virtually gone. Now I only have issues keeping control over the groin area, which continues to need regular shaving. Tee hee.. I don't really mind...shaving in the shower always makes me feel good.Tongue

I wouldn't expect pubic hair to diminish much since GGs have pubic hair, too. It would be great to eliminate it altogether. Has anyone succeeded in going from bush to no bush? If so, how did you accomplish it?

Clara (who is at war with body hair) Dodgy

(22-02-2014, 08:54 PM)AmandaBust Wrote:  Anyway, I epilated my chest and stomach and have very few ingrown hairs, bumps, or itching afterwords. I must admit that is is very painful in most areas but these two are not too bad. I have found that once your at it for awhile, the pain subsides a bit.

-A

I, too, am able to epilate my chest and stomach with few in-grown hairs. It's my legs and upper arms that give me the most trouble with in-growns and red itchy patches. I'm coming to grips with that now, though, thank the lord.

You're right about the stubble. To epilate requires 2 or 3 mm of hair for the tweezers to grab onto. That's a problem for me on my left thigh which I'm epilating. The stubble catches on my jeans, as well as feels horrible especially when I get "goose bumps". The short hairs stand up and feel like a rasp. Sad With the laser, I keep my right thigh shaved between treatments so the stubble is not a problem.

Clara Smile

Sorry for jumping in so late. I had been clearing hair off of my body for decades. And have tried shaving, epilators, waxing at home and laser. I have always had issues with ingrown hair with the first 3. One big reason that this happens with epilation or home waxing is that the hair didn't come out by the root. instead it breaks off under the skin and doesn't grow out of the follicle correctly.

As for laser, I had that professionally done for about 2 years, along with some electrolysis. Within 2 years after stopping 75-85% of my hair grew back and has stayed that way. Although, I NEVER had ingrown hairs after laser treatments.

I personally wish there was something that I could just rub onto my body hair, painless and odorless, that would remove the damn hair forever!

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon