Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Shaved Legs

(05-03-2014, 07:32 PM)ErinMichelle Wrote:  Sorry for jumping in so late. I had been clearing hair off of my body for decades. And have tried shaving, epilators, waxing at home and laser. I have always had issues with ingrown hair with the first 3. One big reason that this happens with epilation or home waxing is that the hair didn't come out by the root. instead it breaks off under the skin and doesn't grow out of the follicle correctly.

As for laser, I had that professionally done for about 2 years, along with some electrolysis. Within 2 years after stopping 75-85% of my hair grew back and has stayed that way. Although, I NEVER had ingrown hairs after laser treatments.

I personally wish there was something that I could just rub onto my body hair, painless and odorless, that would remove the damn hair forever!

You're so right about the hairs breaking off under the skin with an epilator, Erin. The problem is the way the spinning tweezer drum pulls the hair out at a poor angle. When I use a handheld tweezer and pull the hair out in the direction it's growing, far fewer hairs break off, and few in-growns occur. Broken hairs have sharp edges which allow them to burrow into the skin instead of emerging at the mouth of the follicle pore. I'd say not to use an epilator on hairs that grow at a angle much <90 degrees (perpendicular) to the skin's surface.

BTW, the amount of hair that grows back after a hair follicle is lasered depends on your DHT level. With a normal male DHT level, hair will always grow back even if removed with electrolysis.

Clara Smile

(05-03-2014, 09:15 PM)ClaraKay Wrote:  BTW, the amount of hair that grows back after a hair follicle is lasered depends on your DHT level. With a normal male DHT level, hair will always grow back even if removed with electrolysis.

That makes sense, I stopped spiro and my other HRT drugs around that time Sad

(05-03-2014, 09:15 PM)ClaraKay Wrote:  
(05-03-2014, 07:32 PM)ErinMichelle Wrote:  Sorry for jumping in so late. I had been clearing hair off of my body for decades. And have tried shaving, epilators, waxing at home and laser. I have always had issues with ingrown hair with the first 3. One big reason that this happens with epilation or home waxing is that the hair didn't come out by the root. instead it breaks off under the skin and doesn't grow out of the follicle correctly.

As for laser, I had that professionally done for about 2 years, along with some electrolysis. Within 2 years after stopping 75-85% of my hair grew back and has stayed that way. Although, I NEVER had ingrown hairs after laser treatments.

I personally wish there was something that I could just rub onto my body hair, painless and odorless, that would remove the damn hair forever!

You're so right about the hairs breaking off under the skin with an epilator, Erin. The problem is the way the spinning tweezer drum pulls the hair out at a poor angle. When I use a handheld tweezer and pull the hair out in the direction it's growing, far fewer hairs break off, and few in-growns occur. Broken hairs have sharp edges which allow them to burrow into the skin instead of emerging at the mouth of the follicle pore. I'd say not to use an epilator on hairs that grow at a angle much <90 degrees (perpendicular) to the skin's surface.

BTW, the amount of hair that grows back after a hair follicle is lasered depends on your DHT level. With a normal male DHT level, hair will always grow back even if removed with electrolysis.

Clara Smile

I've used a combination of epilators and tweezers on my breasts and pubes for more than a decade. My breasts are now 99% permanently smooth, and my pubes at least 95%. I rarely have problems with ingrowns.

(06-03-2014, 04:37 AM)Wuerstchen Wrote:  I've used a combination of epilators and tweezers on my breasts and pubes for more than a decade. My breasts are now 99% permanently smooth, and my pubes at least 95%. I rarely have problems with ingrowns.

That's wonderful, MW. If only I could say that. I think it varies from person to person. In-growns are not likely if:

1. The tensile strength of one's hair is high so hairs do not tend to break off mid-shaft during epilation or tweezing.

2. The angle of the follicle is perpendicular to the skin making it more likely that the hair will be able to penetrate the epidermis.

WM, have you ever had your T level tested? If so, I'd be interested in knowing what it is.

Clara Smile

(06-03-2014, 05:30 AM)ClaraKay Wrote:  
(06-03-2014, 04:37 AM)Wuerstchen Wrote:  I've used a combination of epilators and tweezers on my breasts and pubes for more than a decade. My breasts are now 99% permanently smooth, and my pubes at least 95%. I rarely have problems with ingrowns.

That's wonderful, MW. If only I could say that. I think it varies from person to person. In-growns are not likely if:

1. The tensile strength of one's hair is high so hairs do not tend to break off mid-shaft during epilation or tweezing.

2. The angle of the follicle is perpendicular to the skin making it more likely that the hair will be able to penetrate the epidermis.

WM, have you ever had your T level tested? If so, I'd be interested in knowing what it is.

Clara Smile

I had it tested over twenty years ago, when I developed ED, and it was low. I took testosterone shots for a while, which seemed pointless, since I wasn't in a relationship. When i did begin a relationship I stopped. When I had it tested after that it was normal. I don't think I have had it tested for many years. My guess is that, given my gynecomastia, it is probably borderline at best.

(07-03-2014, 04:22 AM)Wuerstchen Wrote:  I had it tested over twenty years ago, when I developed ED, and it was low. I took testosterone shots for a while, which seemed pointless, since I wasn't in a relationship. When i did begin a relationship I stopped. When I had it tested after that it was normal. I don't think I have had it tested for many years. My guess is that, given my gynecomastia, it is probably borderline at best.

Oh, of course. Duh! Wake up, Clara. Rolleyes

That and your practice of epilating over the years has rid you of body hair. Pubes, too. Congratulations!

Clara Smile

(07-03-2014, 04:51 AM)ClaraKay Wrote:  
(07-03-2014, 04:22 AM)Wuerstchen Wrote:  I had it tested over twenty years ago, when I developed ED, and it was low. I took testosterone shots for a while, which seemed pointless, since I wasn't in a relationship. When i did begin a relationship I stopped. When I had it tested after that it was normal. I don't think I have had it tested for many years. My guess is that, given my gynecomastia, it is probably borderline at best.

Oh, of course. Duh! Wake up, Clara. Rolleyes

That and your practice of epilating over the years has rid you of body hair. Pubes, too. Congratulations!

Clara Smile

Yes, I love being mostly hairless, especially in the areas that count!

Just a thought--have you considered getting waxed a few times, to sort of "thin out the herd" for epilating or laser later on?

(17-03-2014, 07:10 AM)MichelleM Wrote:  Just a thought--have you considered getting waxed a few times, to sort of "thin out the herd" for epilating or laser later on?

I've never had a wax, but I've heard tell that the first time it's done is pure torture. Epilating is also very painful the first time it's done, but one can control the amount of hair removed per pass to keep the pain to a tolerable level. Follow on treatments present less and less pain. After epilating a few times, I imagine waxing would not be that uncomfortable.

BTW, my experimenting with epilating and LHR (laser hair removal) has led me to a couple of guidelines/strategies for hair removal newbies:

1. Experiment on a small patch of skin to see how your skin reacts. Hair may have a tendency to regrow beneath the skin in some sections of your body, while not in others. Avoid in-grown hairs like the plague.

2. If epilating results in in-grown hairs, switch to LHR either professionally done or using an at-home device like the Tria 4X. Both methods work well and in-grown hairs are not a problem. The Tria is relatively inexpensive compared to spa treatment, but it takes longer to treat an area.

3. Always apply a skin treatment after shaving, epilating or lasering to reduce the red bumps that appear on the skin. I use a product called Tend Skin which works amazingly well.

4. Until hair follicles die, and the skin pores close up tightly, your skin will look covered in tiny black or red dots where the hairs are still growing. In my experience, the use of a laser is much more effective in killing a hair follicle as compared to epilating. Where I've been lasering my leg hair, the skin is much smoother and more clear of pores than where I've been epilating.

5. Unless you attack and reduce your DHT levels, new hair will grow in even where hair has been destroyed using a laser or electrolysis. My newest hairs come in fine and colorless, but get thicker and darker as time passes. My anti-DHT herb of choice is Pygeum. Check the FAQ for others.

Thick body hair is the most masculine of masculine features. It's got to go!

Clara Smile

Re waxing, it may be a YMMV thing. For some folks, it's very painful. When I had it done, I really didn't think it was too bad. I think the skill of the "waxer" is important; I selected one that is well regarded. It probably also helped that from what I can tell, I have high pain threshold. Wink

Michelle

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon