Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Laser beard removal/reduction

I've had three sessions of IPL on my beard now and not noticed any significant difference. Sad Kind of expected that with IPL but it was cheap enough.

I can afford to go to a pro for laser, but thinking of the Tria 4X as well. They're damn expensive in the UK though probably cheaper than six sessions of laser.

But is it worth it or am I better off going to a pro? I can't find any reports from people using nothing but the tria on their beard. :/

The Tria 4X is not approved by the FDA for use on a man's beard. I speculate that it is because a man's beard is so dense. To have even a chance of killing a hair follicle with laser, you have to produce a temperature of around 130F at the root. That requires a powerful laser. The highest power setting for the Tria 4X is 5. I challenge you to set a Tria 4X to that power level and pulse the dense black hair on your face. Not pleasant is an understatement. You might be able to tolerate the pain after using a numbing ointment like EMLA.

Also, note that if you laser your beard, you must wait 90 days before doing any electrolysis for it to be effective.

Getting rid of male facial hair is very difficult and, unfortunately, expensive. It's best to see a professional who has the right equipment and skill to do it properly. Just my opinion.

Clara

I've been using the Silk'n HPL system on it's max setting (5) and have noticed my beard getting patchier. Granted I am flashing myself every 3-5 days instead of every 2 weeks like they suggest, but I have noticed a reduction in some areas of my beard, particularly along my ear line (side burn line) and parts of my jaw line. My chin is being stubborn, as well as my upper lip (mostly grey) and neck (mixed grey and brown), but if I can reduce some of the overall hair growth prior to going for electro... I'll call that a win in my book.

~Elain

Tria 4X on setting 2 hurt on the beard (could hear the fizz-crack)...I can't imagine 5 lol.

I haven't done anything with my beard yet -- but about a week ago I just had my first of eight laser session for legs/back/chest/derriere. Expensive, but I'm REALLY hopeful that it will reduce me from gorilla-level hair down to something I can live with.

The legs and back were not too bad. Even my backside wasn't too bad. The chest... OMG the chest... it was really bad. I think it was the dense hair follicles. Given the density of a face, I don't know how you girls do it. I'm a bit scared now if I finally take that step! For those that have done it - is it as bad as I suspect?

(14-02-2015, 10:34 PM)katieinhiding Wrote:  I haven't done anything with my beard yet -- but about a week ago I just had my first of eight laser session for legs/back/chest/derriere. Expensive, but I'm REALLY hopeful that it will reduce me from gorilla-level hair down to something I can live with.

The legs and back were not too bad. Even my backside wasn't too bad. The chest... OMG the chest... it was really bad. I think it was the dense hair follicles. Given the density of a face, I don't know how you girls do it. I'm a bit scared now if I finally take that step! For those that have done it - is it as bad as I suspect?

I've found the pain sensation varies on the face. On the cheeks and neck it doesn't hurt so much. The more painful areas are the jawline and upper lip. At least when it hurts you know the laser is killing off the hair follicles. Big Grin

LOVING EMLA!! Thank you for mentioning Clara. Went from setting 2 on Tria up to 4 without issue.

I've also been trying that Carbon Dye, the first time it seemed to darken my red hairs, but not very many whites. Second time around I put on a coat of dye, then used some Just for Men black beard dye and let set. Over half of my white hairs are black...only problem is I also died my skin lmao! Rolleyes Got most of it off, but there's still a light shadow that makes me look like a cartoon hobo.

Anyway, will see how things progress over the coming weeks. I'm following Elain's example and lasering every 5 days instead of every 14 days. I also bought something called "Inhibitif" that's supposed to inhibit hair regrowth. Not sure if it'll work, but hey, worth a shot.

Take care and smile often. And thank you everyone sharing so much info on getting rid of pesky hair.

(01-03-2015, 08:30 AM)Lananonymous Wrote:  LOVING EMLA!! Thank you for mentioning Clara. Went from setting 2 on Tria up to 4 without issue.

I've also been trying that Carbon Dye, the first time it seemed to darken my red hairs, but not very many whites. Second time around I put on a coat of dye, then used some Just for Men black beard dye and let set. Over half of my white hairs are black...only problem is I also died my skin lmao! Rolleyes Got most of it off, but there's still a light shadow that makes me look like a cartoon hobo.

Anyway, will see how things progress over the coming weeks. I'm following Elain's example and lasering every 5 days instead of every 14 days. I also bought something called "Inhibitif" that's supposed to inhibit hair regrowth. Not sure if it'll work, but hey, worth a shot.

Take care and smile often. And thank you everyone sharing so much info on getting rid of pesky hair.

I just ordered a home electrolysis machine for those blasted white hairs I have. Not gonna play around with them. My HPL system has put a small but noticeable dent in my hair growth. On the left side of my jaw there is an entire 1" oval patch that is now totally hairless and on my right a slightly smaller patch that is mostly hairless. The front of my chin and just to each side of it is being very stubborn but the numbers of growing hair there has also been reduced. My neck is being stubborn as well but those hairs are a combo of grey/brown so I figured I'd play conniption fits with them. Overall I am encouraged by my progress. I did go 2 weeks w/o flashing my face due to a sunburn I got. Had to hold off. lol. My underarms are down to about 20 hairs on the right and maybe 15 on the left. So that is a def improvement. Chest, tummy and groin are slightly reduced and my leg hairs seem to be resisting but they are almost blonde in color so I figured they would take longer as well.

*shrugs* It works, slowly, but it works.

~Elain

I never tried EMLA for any of my six laser sessions but it really does help for electrolysis Cool

Im thinking Im gonna order the Tria and some sort of home electroysis unit... The Tria I want to use on my arm pits and along the bikini line and maybe on the occasional dark hair that might pop on my face... Id also consider trying a home electro unit on the few hairs left on my face... My laser girl said $825.00 and six treatments on my pits, thats pretty high... I could more than pay for a Tria and a home electro unit for that $$$... I'll give my review when I do....

I had my electrologist totally clear me, we were done the week before I had my FFS...

Well recovering from FFS 6 days now post op I havent shaved at all for at least 2 weeks and I can see my electrologist will have some work to do when I get back... We really are making nice progress thoughBig GrinCool

The hairs on my chin outta be a breeze now because its almost completely numb Rolleyes

Well I got my Tria X4 yesterday... Being the masochist I am I went right to full power and did my pits and bikini lineTongue Yea it HURT but I know its gotta hurt to work, wasn't that bad though... I didn't use EMLA or anything else, I have it maybe I should try that.... I might try it next time but probably notRolleyes

I hope it works, my pits and pubes are pretty dark so I think it will, so far Im impressed with itCool

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon