Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Licorice More Estrogenic Than Estradiol

Lotus,
I started licorice 450 mg on 3/1/14 (stopped 4/20/14). I began having bad headaces 24/7 about 4/2/14 (something I've never had in my life) & did a liver cleanse. Then resumed everything.
Do you think taking the licorice for that short time caused them & how long after stopping licorice will they subside? Since I'm still having the bad headaches, I saw my Dr. & am having a brain CT scan on 5/1/14 to rule out anything else. I was fine with my other NBE supplements prior to adding licorice & doing the cleanse.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Thank you Lotus for the info, loving it.

My question is what is the recommended dose of licorice root for breast growth?

Since you seem so knowledgable I'm sure you have a good program, what is your program and how are you results?

(30-04-2014, 02:13 PM)lostacres6 Wrote:  Lotus,
I started licorice 450 mg on 3/1/14 (stopped 4/20/14). I began having bad headaces 24/7 about 4/2/14 (something I've never had in my life) & did a liver cleanse. Then resumed everything.
Do you think taking the licorice for that short time caused them & how long after stopping licorice will they subside? Since I'm still having the bad headaches, I saw my Dr. & am having a brain CT scan on 5/1/14 to rule out anything else. I was fine with my other NBE supplements prior to adding licorice & doing the cleanse.

Sorry to hear that lostacres,

So after a month you developed headaches right?, did you increase LR anytime prior to the headaches?. Did you monitor your blood pressure?, It's recommended not to take past 4 weeks and have your blood pressure checked. I can't take more than a few times a week myself, I develop headaches too. I take it to help with adrenal fatigue.
  • I try to tell everyone that its some seriously strong stuff, and to take abundant caution and monitor your results. I posted the info listed below couple of months ago and it's regarding anti-androgens, basically it's the same info that's posted from GorgeousBlondes OP, lostacres I'm glad that you sought medical attention and hope you feel better soon, please keep us updated. I also linked the UMMC again for reference. (Please Read)
  • Licorice can raise blood pressure--a function of glycyrrhizin's action on the adrenal glands--so avoid taking more than the recommended dosage. If you take licorice for more than four weeks, have your blood pressure checked. (Stop taking the herb at the first sign of high blood pressure; this side effect is reversible.)
  • At high doses taken over long periods of time, licorice can result in excessive salt loss from the blood, heart irregularities, and other serious health problems. Symptoms of this type of overdose may include headache, swelling, stiffness, shortness of breath, upper abdominal pain, and lethargy, among others.
    http://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=19578
  • Licorice root comes in an (DGL) form:
  • Gycyrhizzin in LR is associated with many side effects in large doses De-Glycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL) has been tried and found to have benefit without the attendant side effects.
  • Please read the following info regarding Licorice Root:

Licorice
http://umm.edu/search-results?&sk=UMMC+Website&ccr=bodycontentph_0%24searchhub%24UMMC_32_Website%24ctl00&k=cchd&docid=-1%240%2419718.7406%24http%3a%2f%2fumm.edu%2fhealth%2fmedical-reference-guide%2fcomplementary-and-alternative-medicine-guide%2fherb%2flicorice&q=Licorice+root+&wld=True&rdb=False

Lostacres (and everyone else) please check these interactions.

Licorice interactions
http://umm.edu/search-results?&sk=UMMC+Website&ccr=bodycontentph_0%24searchhub%24UMMC_32_Website%24ctl00&k=cchd&docid=-1%240%2419718.7406%24http%3a%2f%2fumm.edu%2fhealth%2fmedical%2faltmed%2fherb-interaction%2fpossible-interactions-with-licorice&q=Licorice+root+&wld=True&rdb=False

(30-04-2014, 04:22 PM)GorgeousBlonde Wrote:  Thank you Lotus for the info, loving it.

My question is what is the recommended dose of licorice root for breast growth?

Since you seem so knowledgable I'm sure you have a good program, what is your program and how are you results?

Hi GorgeousBlonde,

Lol, My program is complex and runs into some $$$$, I'am a little confused though, Blush are you on an HRT type program?.

(30-04-2014, 09:44 PM)Lotus Wrote:  
(30-04-2014, 02:13 PM)lostacres6 Wrote:  Lotus,

Sorry to hear that lostacres,

So after a month you developed headaches right?, did you increase LR anytime prior to the headaches?. Did you monitor your blood pressure?, It's recommended not to take past 4 weeks and have your blood pressure checked. I can't take more than a few times a week myself, I develop headaches too. I take it to help with adrenal fatigue.
  • I try to tell everyone that its some seriously strong stuff, and to take abundant caution and monitor your results. I posted the info listed below couple of months ago and it's regarding anti-androgens, basically it's the same info that's posted from GorgeousBlondes OP, lostacres I'm glad that you sought medical attention and hope you feel better soon, please keep us updated. I also linked the UMMC again for reference. (Please Read)
  • Licorice can raise blood pressure--a function of glycyrrhizin's action on the adrenal glands--so avoid taking more than the recommended dosage. If you take licorice for more than four weeks, have your blood pressure checked. (Stop taking the herb at the first sign of high blood pressure; this side effect is reversible.)
  • At high doses taken over long periods of time, licorice can result in excessive salt loss from the blood, heart irregularities, and other serious health problems. Symptoms of this type of overdose may include headache, swelling, stiffness, shortness of breath, upper abdominal pain, and lethargy, among others.
    http://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=19578
  • Licorice root comes in an (DGL) form:
  • Gycyrhizzin in LR is associated with many side effects in large doses De-Glycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL) has been tried and found to have benefit without the attendant side effects.
  • Please read the following info regarding Licorice Root:

Licorice
http://umm.edu/search-results?&sk=UMMC+Website&ccr=bodycontentph_0%24searchhub%24UMMC_32_Website%24ctl00&k=cchd&docid=-1%240%2419718.7406%24http%3a%2f%2fumm.edu%2fhealth%2fmedical-reference-guide%2fcomplementary-and-alternative-medicine-guide%2fherb%2flicorice&q=Licorice+root+&wld=True&rdb=False

Lostacres (and everyone else) please check these interactions.

Licorice interactions
http://umm.edu/search-results?&sk=UMMC+Website&ccr=bodycontentph_0%24searchhub%24UMMC_32_Website%24ctl00&k=cchd&docid=-1%240%2419718.7406%24http%3a%2f%2fumm.edu%2fhealth%2fmedical%2faltmed%2fherb-interaction%2fpossible-interactions-with-licorice&q=Licorice+root+&wld=True&rdb=False

Hi Lotus,

I do have hypertension & did check my BP daily - no increase, in fact, was normal. I'm on Benazepril (one of the meds mentioned). I also checked my blood sugar since I'm prediabetic. It was in the normal range. I only took 450 mg once a day so I don't feel I overdosed.
I'm just wondering how long will it take to get the licorice out of my system, if indeed, it was the cause of the headaches. I go for the brain CT scan today.
Thanks for your concern & for letting me "pick your brain" not to mention all the research you do for ALL OF US!!!!!! You're a true gemRolleyes

I think this might be the original research.

Agonistic and antagonistic estrogens in licorice root (Glycyrrhiza glabra)

Denita

(01-05-2014, 03:42 PM)Denita Wrote:  I think this might be the original research.

Denita

Ok Denita we need to talk about this:

One third of the fractions displayed estrogenic activity towards either one or both estrogen receptors (ERs; ERα and ERβ). Glabrene-rich fractions displayed an estrogenic response, predominantly to the ERα. Surprisingly, glabridin did not exert agonistic activity to both ER subtypes. Several fractions displayed higher responses than the maximum response obtained with the reference compound, the natural hormone 17β-estradiol (E2).

(01-05-2014, 05:11 PM)Lotus Wrote:  
(01-05-2014, 03:42 PM)Denita Wrote:  I think this might be the original research.

Denita

One third of the fractions displayed estrogenic activity towards either one or both estrogen receptors (ERs; ERα and ERβ). Glabrene-rich fractions displayed an estrogenic response, predominantly to the ERα. Surprisingly, glabridin did not exert agonistic activity to both ER subtypes. Several fractions displayed higher responses than the maximum response obtained with the reference compound, the natural hormone 17β-estradiol (E2).

Ok this sounds great but unfortunately could be a small problem. Sad

Just checking the florescent markers used as the data presented in this study indicate that induction and also superinduction of the reporter gene is ER-mediated, and that superinduction by genistein could be ascribed to stabilization of the firefly luciferase reporter enzyme increasing the bioluminescent signal during the cell-based assay. This indicates that the phenomenon of superinduction may not be biologically relevant but may rather represent a post-transcriptional effect on enzyme stability.

I'm cross referencing at the moment.

Denita

(01-05-2014, 07:22 PM)Denita Wrote:  

Denita

Just checking the florescent markers used as the data presented in this study indicate that induction and also superinduction of the reporter gene is ER-mediated, and that superinduction by genistein could be ascribed to stabilization of the firefly luciferase reporter enzyme increasing the bioluminescent signal during the cell-based assay. This indicates that the phenomenon of superinduction may not be biologically relevant but may rather represent a post-transcriptional effect on enzyme stability.

Denita

Ok no problem, the point I'm getting at is about the estrogenic response, and more directly to ERa.

Any thoughts?

(01-05-2014, 07:22 PM)Denita Wrote:  

Denita

Denita

It's OK we are sweet! This study used a genetically modified yeast estrogen bioassays (yEGFP). Yay. Big Grin

Development of a rapid yeast estrogen bioassay, based on the expression of green fluorescent protein.

Does this one answer any questions?
Rapid yeast estrogen bioassays stably expressing human estrogen receptors alpha and beta, and green fluorescent protein: a comparison of different compounds with both receptor types.

Denita

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon