Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Progesterone cream

(02-03-2024, 07:10 AM)Teddy Wrote:  
(02-03-2024, 01:00 AM)Toni68! Wrote:  Imake my own. Coconut lotion and wild yam extract

Unfortunately I have to disappoint you.

I have seen several references to Wild Yam (containing Diosgenin) not being converted to Progesterone in the body. Therefore your lotion isn't same as "Bioidentical Progesterone". This article explains it quite well:
https://nwhn.org/wild-yam-cream-diosgeni...o-for-you/
An extract from the text:
"Natural progesterone is derived from either soybeans or Diascorea oillosa, the inedible Mexican wild yam. (The sweet potatoes and yams that we eat cannot be used for this purpose.) Diosgenin is the chemical compound extracted from the plants from which progesterone is derived, but there's a lengthy process in a chemistry lab involved in the conversion. There are now dozens of topical and vaginal "wild yam" creams. Oral wild yam preparations have been used in herbal medicine, primarily to treat gastrointestinal cramping. It is unclear whether any active components of wild yam are absorbed through the skin. In any case, eating or applying wild yam extract ordiosgenin will not result in increased progesterone levels in the body because the body cannot convert diosgenin into progesterone."
- and -
"If a product claims to contain only wild yam extract or diosgenin yet says it causes progestin-like effects, then it is mislabeled and actually contains the drug form of progesterone."

That is the reason I have been ignoring Wild Yam and looking for (and found, but not cheap) Progesterone Cream where the label says "Bioidentical Progesterone".

-Teddy

How accurate is that?
The stuff I have, says "Progesterone from wild yam", but the ingredient list does not list "wild yam" nor Dioscorea villosa, which is the proper name for it.
It lists "Progesterone (USP Grade)" in the ingredients.

(05-03-2024, 09:39 PM)prostatenipple Wrote:  
(02-03-2024, 07:10 AM)Teddy Wrote:  
(02-03-2024, 01:00 AM)Toni68! Wrote:  Imake my own. Coconut lotion and wild yam extract
That is the reason I have been ignoring Wild Yam and looking for (and found, but not cheap) Progesterone Cream where the label says "Bioidentical Progesterone".

-Teddy

How accurate is that?
The stuff I have, says "Progesterone from wild yam", but the ingredient list does not list "wild yam" nor Dioscorea villosa, which is the proper name for it.
It lists "Progesterone (USP Grade)" in the ingredients.
That seems to be "The Real Thing" =  Progesterone. Wild Yam is just one possible (but most common) source of Diosgenin, and when it is chemically processed it becomes "Progesterone (USP Grade)". And that is the ingredient we want.
-Teddy

I've seen it marked either as "USP progesterone" or "bioidentical progesterone". Depends on the brand. The cream I have right now is Pro-Gest made by Life-flo. Label mentions USP progesterone without mentioning its source. This one is just as good as Biovea brand which has similar ingredients, but it absorbs somewhat better. Its on same concentration too, 20mg Prog per quarter teaspoon.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon